Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which way would you prefere the forums to be like?

+12
Michx
oniongrass
Dead Revolutionary
Rickster58
DoomFinch
Dragonin
Strawberry
Joe Bese
goodmockingbird
Janey
BelgianBoy
Mother Mary
16 posters

:: News :: Wish list

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which way would you like the site

Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_lcap52%Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 22 ]
Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_lcap24%Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 10 ]
Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_lcap24%Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 42

Poll closed

Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Empty Which way would you prefere the forums to be like?

Post by Mother Mary Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:24 am

At the request of blah we are asking our members which way they would like the site to be.
Mother Mary
Mother Mary

http://tbsforum.thebroadspectrum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Empty Re: Which way would you prefere the forums to be like?

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:32 am

I agree more with Blah: all treads on one page. Keep Breaking news and some threads with stickies on top. The point is: it's a lot more fun to jump in on any topic you might discover without having to go to specific sub-fora.
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Which way would you prefere the forums to be like? Empty Re: Which way would you prefere the forums to be like?

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 am

My vote didn't register? I voted for something different!!!
Shocked
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 am

BelgianBoy wrote:I agree more with Blah: all treads on one page. Keep Breaking news and some threads with stickies on top. The point is: it's a lot more fun to jump in on any topic you might discover without having to go to specific sub-fora.

Hey BB, sub-fora, what a great term. It reminds me of something I might find in the amazon rain forest. I am going to have to start using that Smile
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 am

Well, its forum, fora. Richt?
Seems to be an old debate. :-)

Fora is sometimes cited as the correct plural for forum. Although it is indeed correct, there is some debate over whether it is the only correct pluralisation. Most online dictionaries provide both fora and forums as acceptable terms.
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:08 am

Janey wrote:
BelgianBoy wrote:I agree more with Blah: all treads on one page. Keep Breaking news and some threads with stickies on top. The point is: it's a lot more fun to jump in on any topic you might discover without having to go to specific sub-fora.

Hey BB, sub-fora, what a great term. It reminds me of something I might find in the amazon rain forest. I am going to have to start using that Smile

'Forum' is Latin. The correct way to form a plural of a noun ending in '-um' is '-a'.

'Sub-forum' in Latin would mean something underground beneath a forum, like the gladiators' quarters underneath the Colisseum.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Blah Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 am

Well done for adding the poll...

However, the way i would like to see this forum set up is the way GLP is set up, one General Forum as the front page to the site, with a separate page of links to 'Topics', the topic links would link to a list of threads that the topic relates too ie. UFO's, Finance, Middle East... etc.

I dont think you have made that as clear as it could be and most will favor option 1 despite the other options actually offering exactly the same but in a different more user friendly format.

I voted for something different on that basis..

Blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:15 am

I originally sided with Blah on the basis of convenience. It seems like a lot of "fora" complicate things. Now that I've been at it for awhile it doesn't seem so bad, so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the layout.

I voted for something different, but I have no idea what that would be. You're smart people and I think you'll reach a good compromise.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 am

just to let you all know, there is an awful lot going on behind the scenes. We always said that this particular forum and layout would be temporary.

We will very soon be switching over to new forum software and a custom domain name. I have seen a preview of what is being built for us and it is very impressive. The new permanent forum software is being developed very much with your opinions in our minds.

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 am

I am the 11th voter and I voted for the 3rd option.

We never wanted to be GLP wannabe's but the format works and I also like the sections here because I can actually find things. If I want to find news on USA then thats where I go LOL

So for me I want the best of both worlds
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonin Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 am

I agree with Strawberry on the GLP wannabe..."NOT"
I can actually read these forums. They don't make my eyes bleed.

So, for my 2 cents, I like that it the way it is...with a few tweeks here and there
it will take shape. Just give it some time. Smile
Dragonin
Dragonin

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Dragonin wrote:I agree with Strawberry on the GLP wannabe..."NOT"
I can actually read these forums. They don't make my eyes bleed.

So, for my 2 cents, I like that it the way it is...with a few tweeks here and there
it will take shape. Just give it some time. Smile

What I would hate to do is for us to have a GLP style. We are not in the same line of business as GLP and do not compete with them. Our total ethos and aims are completely different and that reflects in how we lay out the website.

What we do is two things 1) deliver news 2) bring us together as a community in friendship

I actually see the layout of the site as more like a newspaper, where you go to the section that interests you. We add into that the community and interactivity of the forum. We are not trying to have thousands of people creates screenfuls of random threads. We are trying to deliver organised and structured news content by theme, whilst having somewhere for us all to be as a community, in friendship and sharing info with each other. I think that makes us very unique. I see us more of a cross of a website such as CNN or Sky News, crossed with a community forum. I dont see GLP or any of those sort of sites having any real relevence to what we do here. We are just not in the same line of business, so by default we have to present our output differently.

Sure there are improvements to be made and we are listening to what you all want. We are less than 2 weeks old and still evolving based on what works best for ALL of us.

Personally I dont think we have enough socks on the site Wink
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest2 Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Something different. Allow guests to quote a response...

Guest2

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomFinch Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 pm

One thing I will say about the current format is that I use a netbook and the new banner/header thing, while visually cool, makes me have to shrink the forum to near-invisibilty in order to not have to constantly side-scroll.
DoomFinch
DoomFinch

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomFinch Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I'd agree with not emulating GLP...too much gets buried too fast under all the "I am a blind eunuch lesbian nun...ask me a question" posts.
DoomFinch
DoomFinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:02 pm

One of my favourite online forums is avianflutalk. The layout is simple and easy to follow.

http://www.avianflutalk.com
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Blah Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 am

Results are pretty convincing that the current front page 'Design' needs to be looked at in favour of a user friendly experience.

Thanks for the poll.

Carry on..

Blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Revolutionary Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Yea I am voting this way as well. But I will be coming back no matter what shape this forum takes.
Dead Revolutionary
Dead Revolutionary

Back to top Go down

Post by oniongrass Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:56 pm

This forum is very successful, amazingly so, as a non-clone of GLP. Please don't clone GLP because
(1) I like the variety. I do like GLP but I like it here too.
(2) If you clone GLP it's head to head competition you might not win. GLP is very old and successful. There are several other GLP-clones and none is anything near as busy these days.

There is plenty of news these days. This seems to be a primarily news oriented site. GLP has some news and some very speculative stuff and some random silly stuff. There's a place for both. The news-oriented format is viable because there is enough flow of news to sustain it. But if the wars ease up for a while, you might want to have topics like weather, geology, astronomical events, whatever is happening at the time. Something will be happening. It would be great if you could cultivate news sources in those areas if they become primary.

There's the other site, ATS. It has a good infrastructure for news too, more organized than GLP. But they don't seem to get the headlines quickly, and somehow they don't have a great base of participants -- or at least I encountered a lot of tiresome posts there. I got tired of the place and stopped visiting. Also, there's too much eye candy and the graphics are dark and tiresome to my taste. At this time I guess that ATS is not much competition, with little overlap of users, although I could be wrong and that could be change.

Thanks for letting me speak honestly.

oniongrass

Back to top Go down

Post by Michx Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am

GLP is divided into topics, sub topics but it seems everything goes thru a forum at the same time, I always look at the forums first to see what is an overview of subjects, if I need more info then I go thru the topic menu....going into one subject seems cumbersome as the topics here become more populated.....just my opinion, still like the serious focus of reporting, keep that up.

Thanks

Last edited by Michx on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Michx

Back to top Go down

Post by Blah Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 am

"Please don't clone GLP" - OnionGrass

No one is saying clone GLP, this vote is about structure and ease of use - Not Content. The way things are set up, its a nightmare to navigate and way to many threads are going unanswered.

Blah

Back to top Go down

Post by oniongrass Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:36 am

Blah wrote:

No one is saying clone GLP, this vote is about structure and ease of use - Not Content. The way things are set up, its a nightmare to navigate and way to many threads are going unanswered.

But the content, nominally, has a large amount of overlap with GLP. What is the difference in content?

So they may be saying clone GLP without realizing it.

oniongrass

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangy Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Rickster58 wrote:One of my favourite online forums is avianflutalk. The layout is simple and easy to follow.

http://www.avianflutalk.com

How funny, I was going to mention a handy feature at another flu site. lol

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/

They have a button for Latest posts, or basically posts since your last visit. Maybe there is already such a feature here. I'm not sure. lolol

Tangy
Tangy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangy Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Blah wrote:

If there was a handy link to Posts since last visit to scan, that would be cool.

I guess what we need to determine is if the information we are posting needs to be available readily to visitors or ourselves later.. Or if things should disappear like they do on GLP...

I kinda vote for a record of what we follow.. Forums, sub forums.

Tangy
Tangy

Back to top Go down

Post by ICU Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 am

When the board first started building it seemed like there were to many different areas. Now that I have been jumping around for a while now it is pretty easy and I can go to the area I am interested in without wading through all the other BS. Thank you very much for building this as fast as you did and as organized as it is.
ICU
ICU

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: News :: Wish list

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum