Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt What Next? rolling update

+11
Babsi
snark
goodmockingbird
FoolOnTheHill
Myhaloisgone
Lurker
Earth Cries
Luna
all4free
BelgianBoy
Janey
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Egypt What Next? rolling update  Empty Egypt What Next? rolling update

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 am

Morning All,

The rolling updates will continue as we get news out of Egypt of their "new dawn"

It is on the wires already this morning that the army are helping protesters move the barricades from Freedom Square, although it may not re-open today. An open air party is planned!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Egypt What Next? rolling update  Empty Re: Egypt What Next? rolling update

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:53 am

Democracy starts to stir in Asia as Malaysia gets nervous?

While there has been an outpouring of congratulatory messages from thousands of Malaysians to the people of Egypt over their new-found 'liberalisation', Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak drew a line on the similarities, or lack of them, between the two countries.

“Firstly, we cannot equate what is happening in Egypt with Malaysia because things are very different in the two countries,” he said when asked what Umno and BN could learn from the middle eastern country.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/155854
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:32 am

already the tough questions are being faced by the major western nations.

For thirty years they have supported Mubarak and his regime, often financially. How are they going to reconcile that support of Mubarak with the new democracy of Egypt?

I hear on the wires urgent meetings are being held in world capitals as countries scrabble to find a new position with Egypt in the new world that starts today
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 am

'Egyptians have inspired us, and they've done so by putting the lie to the idea that justice is best gained by violence.

For Egypt, it was the moral force of non-violence, not terrorism, not mindless killing, but non-violence, moral force, that bent the arc of history toward justice once more.' - Obama statement

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 am

Syria hails the fall of Egypt's Mubarak, calls it the end of the "Camp David" regime

The Al-Baath daily of Syria's ruling Baath Party said Saturday Mubarak's departure will change the "face of Egypt, the region and the entire world."

Syria fiercely opposes the 1979 Camp David peace treaty between Israel and Egypt.

The state-run Tishrin newspaper, which reflects the government's thinking, said the uprising "brought down the Camp-David regime."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/breakingnews/syria-hails-the-fall-of-egypts-mubarak-calls-it-the-end-of-the-camp-david-regime-116059334.html
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 am

Time for an Algeria thread?

#Anonymous launches cyber attacks against Algerian govt websites in support of protesters. Presidents site DOWN!

Twitter, use #12Fev
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 am

BelgianBoy wrote:Time for an Algeria thread?

#Anonymous launches cyber attacks against Algerian govt websites in support of protesters. Presidents site DOWN!

Twitter, use #12Fev

good idea! Will get one sorted!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by all4free Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:15 am

Twitter, use #12Fev

yes, they already call it "February 12 revolution"
http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=26837

all4free

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 am

I've been watching AJE this morning and the police have already closed the square and there are helicopters overhead.

Back to Egypt....

Janey, the Swiss banks acted within 90 minutes to freeze Mubarak's assets and I'd like to know how they did that when he's not actually arrested or charged with anything. Obviously, I don't think he should gain anything from corruption but don't the Swiss banks need some sort of authority/court order to freeze his assets? Who could have authorised that within 90 minutes? I know the same thing happened to the Tunisian leader when he left the country but surely the banks themselves don't have the authority to freeze assets.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 am

Luna wrote:

I've been watching AJE this morning and the police have already closed the square and there are helicopters overhead.

Back to Egypt....

Janey, the Swiss banks acted within 90 minutes to freeze Mubarak's assets and I'd like to know how they did that when he's not actually arrested or charged with anything. Obviously, I don't think he should gain anything from corruption but don't the Swiss banks need some sort of authority/court order to freeze his assets? Who could have authorised that within 90 minutes? I know the same thing happened to the Tunisian leader when he left the country but surely the banks themselves don't have the authority to freeze assets.

they indeed need a court order from a government body with juristication. In the case of Mubarak yesterday within minutes of the army takeover there were various legal happenings that gave competent juristiction to senior judges in Egypt. It was this high court that issued the request within minutes of them being authorised under the caretaker government. It all seemed well orchestrated and clearly thought out in advance
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 am

https://littlesocknews.forumotion.com/t368-algeria-in-crisis#8160

An Algeria thread as requested, in the ME section. We will pull it out to make it more visible. I will follow during the day. As always, everyone is welcome to contribute
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:24 am

Wow! They acted very quickly so I agree it must have been thought out and prepared in advance. Always so much behind the scenes that we don't have a clue is going on.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:14 am

Britain calls for Egypt's new leaders to establish democracy Foreign Secretary William Hague has called up on Egypt's new military rulers to take "concrete and irrevocable steps" to establish democracy in their country with the staging of free and fair elections.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8320207/Britain-calls-for-Egypts-new-leaders-to-establish-democracy.html
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonysoc Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am

Good morning all. I don't know if this was already posted. I found it doing my morning Egypt searches. A video posted on Youtube shows a solidarity protest song titled Sout al Horeya, 'the sound of freedom', by Moustafa Fahmy, Mohamed Khalifa, and Mohamed Shaker.

"Sound of Freedom" Egyptian Music Video
"I went down and I said I am not coming back, and I wrote on every street wall that I am not coming back.
"All barriers have been broken down, our weapon was our dream, and the future is crystal clear to us, we have been waiting for a long time, we are still searching for our place, we keep searching for a place we belong too, in every corner in our country.
"The sound of freedom is calling, in every street corner in our country, the sound of freedom is calling..
"We will re-write history, if you are one of us, join us and don't stop us from fulfilling our dream.

I love you

Anonysoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 am

Janey, what's going on in Yemen? Anything coming over the wires? Heard on AJE last night that protest were springing up all over the country.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:50 am

Good Morning everyone!

------------

# Tarek Al Shami: Anas el-Feki, NDP Minister of Media (Propaganda) tried to leave Egypt, sent his bags to the airport but was not allowed to. vor 4 Minuten via web

# Tarek Al Shami: Mubarak refused to leave power until the last minute but was warned by his advisers that he could face treason charges vor 6 Minuten via web

# Tarek Al Shami of Al Hurra: Orders were given to Egypt airports officials not to allow NDP businessmen & Ministers to travel out of Egypt vor 7 Minuten via web

# Al Hurra's correspondent in Cairo Tarek Al Shami says that former President Mubarak is in Abu Dhabi temporarily vor 8 Minuten via web

# Al Hurra: Former Secretary General of the ruling NDP party has fled Egypt to London vor 9 Minuten via web

# Breaking Al Hurra: Former President Mubarak is now in Al Minhal Palace in Abu Dhabi, UAE & will return after a medical visit to Germany.

http://twitter.com/sultanalqassemi
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:51 am

Reuters: Stock Exchange to open on Wednesday
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 am

Egyptian protesters were jubilant over their success in toppling President Hosni Mubarak, but many vowed to stay camped in a central Cairo square until they hear "clear assurances" that the military will meet their demands for democracy.

Burnt-out vehicles were towed away while people swept the streets and hauled away mounds of rubbish. Soldiers removed barricades to open a road leading to Tahrir Square after a night of euphoric celebration and nearly three weeks of protests that forced Mr Mubarak to surrender power to the military.

Many wore placards saying "Sorry for the inconvenience, but we're building Egypt."

- Press Association
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:20 am

Mubarak and family at their home in Sharm still, with a major security cordon around the house
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Myhaloisgone Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:20 am

Good morning all!! Heart Flowers
Myhaloisgone
Myhaloisgone

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:24 am

morning halo
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 am

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's military relaxed a nighttime curfew Saturday and banned current and ex-government officials from traveling abroad without permission in its first moves since taking power after President Hosni Mubarak's ouster.

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 am

Reminder: There are both old and new articles on Egypt at https://littlesocknews.forumotion.com/t335p15-articles-on-egypt#8001
I will continue to update as I find interesting stuff (I did pass on one Glenn Beck piece however)

FoolOnTheHill

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 am

And good morning all!

FoolOnTheHill

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 am

Janey wrote: people swept the streets and hauled away mounds of rubbish.

This is some of the best news. I do hope their city sanitation crews are up and running.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next