Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?

5 posters

Go down

How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need? Empty How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 am

(Reuters Health) - In the winter, pre-teen girls may need more vitamin D -- either from diet or supplements -- to have healthy bones, a new study says.

The goal of the study was to figure out how much vitamin D girls aged 11 to 12 would need to take every day in order to keep the levels of this nutrient in their blood at healthy levels. Some experts think that since these girls are growing fast, vitamin D might be particularly important.

Vitamin D aids bone growth by helping the body absorb calcium. An extreme lack of vitamin D can lead to rickets, which causes delayed growth, muscle weakness, and teeth problem in kids. But in the U.S. at least, rickets is rare, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Our skin can make vitamin D when it's exposed to sunlight, or we can get the nutrient in our diet or as supplements.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/11/health-us-vitamin-d-idUKTRE71A7JZ20110211
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need? Empty Re: How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?

Post by Alaskan Girl Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Here is a great article on vit. D and it even has a nifty chart for age/gender requirements

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need? Empty Re: How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need?

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Alaskan Girl wrote:Here is a great article on vit. D and it even has a nifty chart for age/gender requirements

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/

This information is brilliant Alaskan Girl. TY

flower

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiral Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 am

if I recall correctly after 20 minutes of full-skin exposure to sunlight your body produces about 20k IU's, which it can hold and utilize for about a week.

I personally take 10k daily, and I'm pretty sure 600-750 is not enough to maintain healthy blood levels. If it is, it's just barely, and only enough to maintain if your blood levels were already alright (99% chance: they weren't)

fwiw, common advice seems to be 2k IU/day for a month to build up, then 1k/day to maintain.

this is regardless of age and/or weight.
Chiral
Chiral

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 am

Chiral, our regular family Dr. is a close friend and insists we have blood work done in the fall
to check vit. D levels.
This is due to the lack of exposure to sunshine here nov.-feb.
Usually D levels are low and prescription form of vit.D (4000 once a wk/4 wk's) is given.
believe it or not I've taken this for 5 years and never been sick.Except this year(didn't take any) and I have a bad cold as i type.
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Logical Paradox Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 am

A cold is just your body's way of cleaning out your system. It shouldn't actually be looked at as being sick.

If you take a sitz bath (which will cause your upper body to sweat heavily) you'll be rid of the cold much faster- as sweating will help your body purge much faster.
Just make sure to drink lots of healthy liquids. Wink
Logical Paradox
Logical Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 am

Logical Paradox wrote:A cold is just your body's way of cleaning out your system. It shouldn't actually be looked at as being sick.

If you take a sitz bath (which will cause your upper body to sweat heavily) you'll be rid of the cold much faster- as sweating will help your body purge much faster.
Just make sure to drink lots of healthy liquids. Wink

I actually agree with you. I've been bad sick 2 times in my life(close to dying)But a bad cold Sucks,hard to convince the mind nothings
really wrong and your body is just doing laundry. How much vitamin D do pre-teen girls need? 49459
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum