Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM DEATH

+7
~Om~
BelgianBoy
LLL
cab123
Strawberry
Janey
Mother Mary
11 posters

:: News :: Wish list

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FORUM DEATH - Page 2 Empty Re: FORUM DEATH

Post by Janey Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 am

gardener1 wrote:
BelgianBoy wrote:On this point Blah is right:

What people are not realising is that the time it takes to scour each and every message board for an interesting topic, could be better spent on actually participating in the threads themselves by posting and debating and contributing links etc.

We are discussing interface, not content. That's another game altogether.

Good job.

Besides: pins can keep breaking stories on top.

The Libya breaking story is closed, apparently the thread has reached its post limit.

So the world's most important breaking news is now closed for discussion here due to format issues.

Yeah, this is my first time on this site and I think the format could use plenty of retooling.

I give it a low user friendliness rating.

Could....be....great--but it's not.

I think you have a fundamental misconception. The Libya updates thread is up and running. I set up a daily thread on it each day, to avoid one thread getting over large. It is not closed for discussion in any shape or form.

The post limit is a problem with this software. You might not know but we set up in a hurry to respond to events and have only been up and running two weeks. We are about to swap across to a final permanent site with a proper URL in the next couple of days. This was only ever intended to be temporary software. The new site, in addition to having its own proper URL, has no limit on thread sizes.

It is a mistake, however, to say that Libya is closed to discussion. The discussion is going quite strong in todays thread!

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by gardener1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 am

Ok I came back for another try.

As a newbie I will try to be gentle but.....

Here's another really annoying problem: It is not possible to flip through or choose thread pages.

I come to a thread of which I've already read the first 10 pages, I log back in and wish to read page 17. There is no way to get to page 17 except to load every_page_that_comes_before it, every single page 1 through 16. Gah.

So I don't. I become frustrated and leave because I don't want to load 16 thread pages which I do not wish to read.

I leave and go to another website, which I am doing right now because that which I want to read is off on some distant page which I can't get to except for five minutes of page flipping. I can do better than that with an old school paperback book.

It's an issue. Bye now, but I'll be back. I have hope for this website.

gardener1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Mary Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am

There is a GoTo Page Link right next to the page numbers at the top and bottom of the pages. Click it and a box comes up and you type in what page you want to go to.
Mother Mary
Mother Mary

http://tbsforum.thebroadspectrum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Droid Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Blah wrote:
People complain about threads falling off the first page, never to be found again. Only does a thread stay at the top of the main page through mods pinning them. People don't search correctly and the same subject gets posted twice and then people whine that their post was first.

I can not believe that someone would come on a site and start spouting on and on about how it is going to die and the site is just over a week old.

Mother Mary - Instead of getting defensive, you should maybe consider the facts and suggestions presented, i am bringing up design issues of this site in an effort to get some remedial action so that the site becomes a resounding success, not just another message board that after the initial excitement dies after several months, i have followed Janey from day one on GLP, so i have as much right to come on here "Spouting" my concerns as anyone else.

There are real issues in the way the site is designed for end users, it is extremely difficult to find any threads of passing interest quickly, this poses a real problem in that the end user has to work very hard to get what they want, people will get pissed off and not come back, especially if after they have found something of interest or made a post themselves and it takes two or three days to get an answer if at all because nobody else can be bothered to spend 2 hours going through each individual message board, that is not a viral or successful message board in my opinion, and one doomed to fail.

I have pointed out the problems, others have voiced agreement with those problems, its up to the Admins to decide if they listen or carry on, lets not forget the majority thought the earth was flat, didn't make them right though!

Carry on..

Agreed. I find the site in it's current state totally unusable. It would be much easier to find interesting threads if they were all just on the main page. Having them all nested like this, I don't even feel like bothering to be honest. I haven't been here much over the last 2 weeks for this reason alone. It's just unpleasant to navigate and it feels like work.

The concept of "copying GLP" is utterly ridiculous. It's the content that constitutes copying. When people get sick of their cars, and get new ones, the new ones still have a round steering wheel, pedals, and a radio. It's not a copy of the old car, but has the minimum requirements to easily operate the vehicle.

P.S.. Mother Mary is getting defensive.
Droid
Droid

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Still have to say I like the way this site is laid out. It's no different than reading a newspaper by section with the exception that you don't have to go buy a new paper everyday. I suspect the dissenters aren't into newspapers. It is very easy to navigate. Threads don't get lost/buried. Kudos to LLL and Mother Mary. FORUM DEATH - Page 2 154675
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2