Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan

2 posters

Go down

Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan Empty Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan

Post by Janey Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:52 am

Sudan have voted overwhelming to split into two separate nations. The largest African country will officially break up as North Sudan and South Sudan.

The UN are to ratify South Sudan imminently, making it the world's newest internationally recognised country. It is hoped that the vote (nearly 99% voted in favour!) and yes the elections were considered fair by UN monitors - will bring an end to years of civil war

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan Empty Re: Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan

Post by goodmockingbird Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:11 am

Apparently S Sudan will enter independence as one of the world's poorest countries.

One study I read indicated that it has roughly 90% unemployment, and derives 98% of its income from one gas or oil pipeline.

If memory serves me, there has always been ethnic tension between the Moslem mixed African-Arab north, and the Animist-Christian Nilotic African south.

I would not be surprised to see the Chinese come in and establish structure/ infrastructure in the S Sudan, even if it is a harsh and militararily imposed format under the guise of protecting their pipeline -- the modern equivalent of colonialism.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan Empty Re: Sudan To Split In Two - The World's Newest Country - South Sudan

Post by Janey Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 am

those are really fascinating statistics, thank you!

I sure hope that they are not taken advantage of, but I can see a lot of powers offering friendship for their own ends!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:49 am

They have their own website up now:

http://www.southsudan.net/
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum