Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US?

4 posters

Go down

Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US? Empty Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US?

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 am

(Reuters) - With unrest and chaos apparently having taken Egypt's rulers and Western states by surprise, governments and spies are increasingly looking to social media like Twitter to detect political threats in advance. ...

... Intelligence agencies have long focused attention on extremist websites to detect crime and militancy.

But the idea of having state spies, police and other authority figures watching mainstream Twitter and Facebook feeds closely for signs of dissent might make some people rather uneasy -- particularly in countries with a record of extrajudicial killings and other human rights abuses.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/08/us-technology-protest-spies-idUSTRE71726I20110208

Last edited by Strawberry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US? Empty Re: Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US?

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:22 am

When some of us were watching the Egyptian tweeter coming out of Cairo during the revolution we were sifting through them for news about the protestors. This was because the livefeeds were going quiet some nights and we needed to find other news sources.

We noticed that the regime were sending out false tweets to confuse not just the protestors but also the world.

One classic tweet which Im sure Snark or Babsi still have was from Ghonim telling all the protestors to go home and to stop protesting now.

AS IF!

lmao

Now I dont know the chap but I do know he wouldnt have said that!!!

Last edited by Strawberry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US? Empty Re: Spies and Police Using TWITTER & FACEBOOK to Gather Intelligence on US?

Post by Babsi Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 am

Strawberry wrote:When some of us were watching the Egyptian tweeter coming out of Cairo during the revolution we were sifting through them for news about the protestors. This was because the livefeeds were going quiet some nights and we needed to find other news sources.

We noticed that the regime were sending out false tweets to confuse not just the protestors but also the world.

One classic tweet which Im sure Snark or Babsi still have was from Goyem telling all the protestors to go home and to stop protesting now.

AS IF!

lmao

Now I dont know the chap but I do know he wouldnt have said that!!!

LMAO - Strawberry even better, after Mubarak's and Sillyman's speech Thursday that pissed so many off, the STATE TV announced a statement from Ghonim "I agree with President Mubarak's statement and you all should go home now" - BOY, it didn't take long for him to come out and say that he NEVER said anything like that. That just showed to people how state tv was deliberately LYING all the time!!!

The truth will always come out in the end Wink
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 am

Babsi wrote:
LMAO - Strawberry even better, after Mubarak's and Sillyman's speech Thursday that pissed so many off, the STATE TV announced a statement from Ghonim "I agree with President Mubarak's statement and you all should go home now" - BOY, it didn't take long for him to come out and say that he NEVER said anything like that. That just showed to people how state tv was deliberately LYING all the time!!!

The truth will always come out in the end Wink

AMEN to the truth girl.

My bf and I were talking about Egyptian State TV and we said how hard it must be to in a media where you have to watch everything you say or do incase you get arrested for saying the wrong thing.

They will be able to really get their creative juices flowing now and I bet they never want to broadcast another cookery program ever lol
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexico1 Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:09 am

We are the Borg, we will adapt. And April 16th comrades species 1234 already did. Knowing they were being monitored they sent false signals to throw off the Federation. Relax, the collective will survive...

Mexico1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 am

The fact that they watch twitter and facebook feeds is hardly a surprise, since by definition (and according to the British courts) the posts are public.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonin Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:37 am

Mexico1 wrote:We are the Borg, we will adapt. And April 16th comrades species 1234 already did. Knowing they were being monitored they sent false signals to throw off the Federation. Relax, the collective will survive...

From Locutus of Borg...we have the sling ready! Smile
Dragonin
Dragonin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonin Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 am

I did notice that some of the tweets, I was tracking had undesirable IP components.
Glad we have peeps on this board who know their stuff Smile
Dragonin
Dragonin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum