Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans

3 posters

Go down

DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans Empty DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm

The Federal Bureau of investigation has been authorized to wiretap domestic telephone conversations made to overseas locations, the Justice Department has claimed.
“[The Office of Legal Counsel] agreed with the FBI that under certain circumstances, (word or words redacted) allows the FBI to ask for and obtain these records on a voluntary basis from the providers, without legal process or a qualifying emergency," the Justice Department's inspector general said in a recent report by McClatchy Newspapers.

For years after the September 11, 2001 attacks, the FBI sought and obtained thousands of telephone records for international calls, allegedly to prevent potential terrorist attacks.

To read more see this link:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165232.html
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans Empty Re: DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 am

yes, this has saved countless lives!

It has only been used to monitor known "faces" in their overseas calls. If a guy under surveillance calls NW Pakistan then you simply cannot quickly rush for a court order as these conversations happen in real-time obviously. By the time you had permission, the call is over.

This has allowed the FBI with the support of the NSA to act quickly if a terror suspect starts making calls to record those calls. It has not been used to monitor the calls of average citizens
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans Empty Re: DoJ allows FBI to wiretap Americans

Post by cab123 Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 am

Janey wrote:yes, this has saved countless lives!

It has only been used to monitor known "faces" in their overseas calls. If a guy under surveillance calls NW Pakistan then you simply cannot quickly rush for a court order as these conversations happen in real-time obviously. By the time you had permission, the call is over.

This has allowed the FBI with the support of the NSA to act quickly if a terror suspect starts making calls to record those calls. It has not been used to monitor the calls of average citizens

Morning Janey,
Correct it has/will save countless lives,this announcement is a formality to cover legal issues raised after 9-11. Being from the Industrial
sector here in the US many things changed rapidly post 9-11. Mandates/law? required the Ind. sector to obtain detailed info. on employees,suppliers,contractors etc. 90 % of our customers have safety orange socks on their roofs.(most are clueless as to why)
And most people here (if they know about it ) feel this is a infringement on their rights.My feeling is " don't do something to cause red flags and you'll have no problems.) Many ways to gather intel.(air ways are free)
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:09 am

cab123 wrote:
Janey wrote:yes, this has saved countless lives!

Morning Janey,
Correct it has/will save countless lives,this announcement is a formality to cover legal issues raised after 9-11. Being from the Industrial
sector here in the US many things changed rapidly post 9-11. Mandates/law? required the Ind. sector to obtain detailed info. on employees,suppliers,contractors etc. 90 % of our customers have safety orange socks on their roofs.(most are clueless as to why)
And most people here (if they know about it ) feel this is a infringement on their rights.My feeling is " don't do something to cause red flags and you'll have no problems.) Many ways to gather intel.(air ways are free)

I am absolutely in favour of freedom and privacy for the individual. The last thing we need is an Orwellian police state. So for the average guy in the street I firmly believe that their rights are paramount. However, if you have attended training camps in Pakistan etc or start pushing Jihadi belief etc then you are a direct threat to the safety of the general public and I think it is fair game for you to be investigated and monitored. If you dont like the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Unfortunately this means that those the jihadi comes into contact with have to be checked out too. I think that is fair also. I can tell you if someone who knows these people are checked out and found to be unaware and uninvolved the monitoring stops and their freedoms are preserved. If you are clean, the intelligence services move on.

In actuality there are simply that many people who are a threat there is not the resources in the community to monitor everyone so the good guys want to concentrate on those deserving of the attention and not everyone in the street. Resources are that stretched that sometimes people who deserve a deeper look fall through the net, the 7/7 bombers here are a case in point.

If you start spouting jihad or call Uncle Osama in Tora Bora then I think you just waived your rights.

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 am

Agree again, I remember just after 9-11, the retired head of Iserali intel. was inteviewed here
in the US, do you know his name? I would love to look that interview up,it was impressive.
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down