Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA

3 posters

Go down

Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA  Empty Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA

Post by Earth Cries Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 am

Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/World/Story/A1Story20110217-264083.html

WASHINGTON - A powerful solar eruption that has already disturbed radio communications in China could disrupt electrical power grids and satellites used on Earth in the next days, NASA said.

The massive sunspot, which astronomers say is the size of Jupiter, is the strongest solar flare in four years, NASA said Wednesday.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA  Empty Re: Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA

Post by LewNi Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 am

Wow! I have been trying to learn about the sun and it storms recently, I find it fascinating.
From what I have learned an X is pretty big, is it not? I read the article and sounded to me that they are not quite sure what is going to happen. Your thoughts?
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA  Empty Re: Huge solar flare jams radio, satellite signals: NASA

Post by Joe Bese Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:50 pm

"We want people to know this is not, like, the mother of all events," said Joseph Kunches, a space scientist at the Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado. "What it means for the airlines is that they will adjust their routes, they know this is happening. Power grid operators have back-up plans, and they know what's happening."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/17/sun-set-for-solar-blast-but-noaa-is-ready/?hpt=C2
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 pm

The mother of all events....nice.
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum