Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last

4 posters

Go down

As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last Empty As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:33 am

For centuries, historians have puzzled over the disappearance of a legion of 5,000 battle-hardened Roman soldiers in northern Britain around 108 AD.

The ancient riddle, which has captivated storytellers, has just been dramatised by Hollywood in The Eagle, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Bell.

Now experts have revealed that the children’s book on which the film is based is more fact than fiction

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1358700/As-Hollywood-film-dramatises-ancient-tale-2-000-year-riddle-Romes-lost-Ninth-Legion-solved-last.html
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last Empty Re: As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 am

This is amazing. I so love 'real' history. Over the last few months I have learnt so much on how 'history is rewritten by the winners' and this article and the up and coming film really exites me because it shows the history that has been hidden and what a brutal but fantastic piece of history this particular era is.

My partner is a dark age reinactor and he says that the only good thing about a Roman is a dead Roman

As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last 65547

Last edited by Strawberry on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last Empty Re: As a Hollywood film dramatises ancient tale, the 2,000 year riddle of Rome's lost Ninth Legion is solved at last

Post by cab123 Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:45 am

good artical Straw, I'll watch the movie when it airs, thanks
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:13 am

For those interested in this period of history, I highly recommend the well-researched and intensely moving classic novel Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem about the late Roman Empire military in Germania.

It is the haunting recollection of a concientious and courageous general during a time of bureaucracy run amok and societal decline.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 am

Amazing. Always fascinated by Roman history. We went to Rome last year for 2 weeks, it was an amazing journey.

Thanks for sharing Strawberry!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:59 am

Argghh! I have to wait for it to come out on Netflix! >>insert little guy banging his head against wall here<<
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 am

Alaskan Girl wrote:Argghh! I have to wait for it to come out on Netflix! >>insert little guy banging his head against wall here<<

I know,we us basic cable for computer mainly. tv gets 3 local news,4 religous,3 shop at home, and ophra.I'm online alot lol!
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down