Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights

2 posters

Go down

Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights Empty Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:04 am

A Law Lord has warned of conflicts between the European Convention on Human Rights and the government's proposed British Bill of Rights.

Lord Woolf said the UK faced a "stark choice" between accepting European court rulings or leaving the system.

The government is looking at a Bill of Rights following rows with Europe over prisoner voting and sex offenders.

It insists this will not undermine the European Convention but Lord Woolf warned of "complication".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12522239
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights Empty Re: Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights

Post by Lime Flavoured Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:10 am

The problem is that you can't just leave the jurisdiction of the ECHR. IIRC you'd have to leave the EU pretty much.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights Empty Re: Lord Woolf warning over UK Bill of Rights

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:23 am

Lime Flavoured wrote:The problem is that you can't just leave the jurisdiction of the ECHR. IIRC you'd have to leave the EU pretty much.

Not a bad thing me thinks Smile
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:33 am

Strawberry wrote:
Lime Flavoured wrote:The problem is that you can't just leave the jurisdiction of the ECHR. IIRC you'd have to leave the EU pretty much.

Probably not, but easier said than done.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Lime Flavoured wrote:
Strawberry wrote:

Probably not, but easier said than done.

Youre not wrong there. Seems its all bound in blood pacts Wink

I was reading that Cameron said he basically he wants to but has to abide by law and no country has gone against them since Greece at such as such a time.

Im not a tory but I do like Camerons' stance on the EU lately and its been a long time coming.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down