Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Researchers aim to 'print' human skin

3 posters

Go down

Researchers aim to 'print' human skin   Empty Researchers aim to 'print' human skin

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 am

(CNN) -- Researchers are developing a specialized skin "printing" system that could be used in the future to treat soldiers wounded on the battlefield.

Scientists at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine were inspired by standard inkjet printers found in many home offices.

"We started out by taking a typical desktop inkjet cartridge. Instead of ink we use cells, which are placed in the cartridge," said Dr. Anthony Atala, director of the institute.

The device could be used to rebuild damaged or burned skin.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/19/bioprinting.wounded.soldiers/index.html
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Researchers aim to 'print' human skin   Empty Re: Researchers aim to 'print' human skin

Post by Chiral Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:43 am

This is quite nifty, if we had more of this kind of news I wouldn't be so worried about the relentless march of technology.

These are the kinds of advances that remind me of sci-fi movies.
Chiral
Chiral

Back to top Go down

Researchers aim to 'print' human skin   Empty Re: Researchers aim to 'print' human skin

Post by Joe Bese Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am

Chiral wrote:This is quite nifty, if we had more of this kind of news I wouldn't be so worried about the relentless march of technology.

These are the kinds of advances that remind me of sci-fi movies.

From this it may be a small step to faxing ourselves around the world.

Not as elegant as a Star Trek transporter, but if it gets the job done...
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down