Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is littlesocks G rated now?

5 posters

Go down

Is littlesocks G rated now? Empty Is littlesocks G rated now?

Post by Claudia Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 pm

It seems I missed the post(s) that lead to me to read that young children read this site and we are to monitor ourselves beyond the rules of the forum that are stated.(if so how ?as everyone is so civil to each other even when opinions differ.)
I'm confused and might have misinterpreted what I read.
If not then I don't understand that a young child would be permitted to read these posts that are full of violent horrific acts by man,including savage videos of slaughtering humans.
Would someone please help me out with this because I really hope I am wrong.
Thanks so much,
Claudia

Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Is littlesocks G rated now? Empty Re: Is littlesocks G rated now?

Post by Janey Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Claudia,

We do indeed have children on the site. I can think of 4 families that have contacted me directly. I am also aware of a lovely little girl who is using this site for her school project!

Those children are using the site under parental guidance and supervision. So all I ask is that people are careful with heavy swear words. It may be the child in me but I hate to see swearing on forums in any shape or form.

That does not in any way reflect on the news coverage we offer and the adult nature of that and level of discussion. We let parents make their own choices as to which threads they share with their children. Each of these families are supervising their children and are making judgement calls as to which threads are appropriate.

All I ask is that people avoid the bad swear words, which I don't think is a lot to ask. I hate to see them, never mind anyone else Smile
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:27 am

Claudia I had my 11 year old on with me supervised for the NASA launch but I wouldnt have her here unsupervised. She really enjoyed the launch and loved the website that Lew gave us afterwards. I know that it has now got my daughter eager and asking questions in that area Smile

My daughter is very good on the net as there are a lot of places I wouldnt want her to go unsupervised, even Facebook where most of her friends are, unsupervised.

I caught one of my friends, friend of a friend trying to add her a while back. So it just shows what can sneak in when you are not supervising.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks so much Janey and Strawberry for explaining this to me.
I agree about the foul language and glad to hear that the kids can be part of the current events through this site,supervised.
Claudia
Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 am

Hey Claudia! Thanks so much for asking, I actually have my BF son with me right now looking at some of the news on the site. I act like his filter for the internet so that he gets to do more than just the kiddy games. He loves hearing about what is going on (censored for an 8 yr old) and even asked several times during the Egyptian protests how they were.

Hey Straw, I am so glad she liked that page!!
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:26 am

This is evolving over time to become a news site where children can come with a parent (aunt, uncle, caring adult) and access world events directly.

Yes we do post graphic videos of violence and tragedy -- but always with an extremely clear informational warning describing what is enclosed.

In such cases, the adult can first view the video, and then choose to either share it or not with the child -- or depending upon the child's age and sensitivity -- perhaps discuss and prepare the child for the stark reality.

We do present reality unscensored, but from a caring and respectful -- not an exploitative -- perspective.

Children see "violence" glorified as "entertainment" in the mainstream popular culture every day, no matter how careful a parent may be. We present truth.

It is my opinion that a child who sees the whole story of actual violence, including grief and loss, and the concept of giving one's life for a higher cause -- alongside a wise adult to process through his or her feelings -- is better prepared for life than one who has never seen the truth.

$0.02 cheerfully refundable

goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:40 am

LewNi,

I'm so removed from the young ones and how the internet can be a positive experience.
You brought back memories of 1989,Tiananmen Square and then the Berlin Wall and the discussing of these events with my 9 yr.old daughter at the time, no internet then everything was gotten from the television.
There's much to be said for keeping an interested child abreast of certain events and also making them aware of all the people worldwide who are working hard to help change these horrific circumstances.
Thanks so much for your input and all you bring to littlesocks.

Claudia

Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks to you too Claudia and everyone else!!

I think that kids these days are bombarded with violence today in a way that numbs them from real life. With so many "reality" shows these days it is more like living vicariously than actually experiencing it.
While I do not want to traumatize any child I think it is important that they understand, the best they can, what is going in today's world and to bear witness so that they might stand up one day if needed.
I absolutely love the fact that everyone in here is so heartfelt and shares the news with such passion. It is one of the reasons that I am here. Three months ago I could care less what was going on in the news and by proxy the world, because the news I could see was useless.

Thanks to everyone with or with out sockies!!
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:00 am

goodmockingbird,
I had no idea that that the site is a work in progress towards including children and will now post a warning on any material not suitable.
Thanks for your post and do agree with what you and others here wrote and wish there were many more adults with the same beliefs.

A few days ago you had asked if there was any info.on an upcoming Palestinian protest.
On March 15,the young people of Palestinian are calling for Hamas and Fatah to join forces so change can be accomplished as being divided has been disastrous for the people.
They're using Facebook to reach out to all youths in the Middle East.
I had posted the article for you late one night,if you missed it it's from the Independent.
Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 am

goodmocingbird and all,

March 15th, Palestinian Youth

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/24/palestinian-young-people-protests
Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:21 am

Claudia wrote:goodmockingbird,
I had no idea that that the site is a work in progress towards including children and will now post a warning on any material not suitable.
Thanks for your post and do agree with what you and others here wrote and wish there were many more adults with the same beliefs.

A few days ago you had asked if there was any info.on an upcoming Palestinian protest.
On March 15,the young people of Palestinian are calling for Hamas and Fatah to join forces so change can be accomplished as being divided has been disastrous for the people.
I had posted the article for you late one night,if you missed it it's from the Independent.

Our site is simply evolving, and it seems like almost universally it is people of deep concience who are converging here.

We come from vastly different cultures and political viewpoints, but there is incredible cumulative wisdom here.

Including children -- properly supervised -- into the readership was something most of us probably never thought about, but it just makes sense, even for those of us without any kids.

An overall sense of respect for our fellow humankind is evolving here. Showing the spectrum of human life to include man's inhumanity to man is an invaluable part of any young person's education.

Telling a child "We hope Gaddafi is arrested and put in jail" (or "killed") because he does bad things" does not mean the same thing as "We are going to watch something very sad together. A man named Gaddafi is a cruel leader and he is paying confused and heartless people to kill innocent people. Here are pictures of some people who were killed, and other people who are wounded. These men are crying over their brother. We are going to donate (time, money, blood, etc) to help them."

I'll look for your info on Palestine.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 am

goodmockingbird wrote:
Claudia wrote:goodmockingbird,

Our site is simply evolving, and it seems like almost universally it is people of deep concience who are converging here.

We come from vastly different cultures and political viewpoints, but there is incredible cumulative wisdom here.

Including children -- properly supervised -- into the readership was something most of us probably never thought about, but it just makes sense, even for those of us without any kids.

An overall sense of respect for our fellow humankind is evolving here. Showing the spectrum of human life to include man's inhumanity to man is an invaluable part of any young person's education.

Telling a child "We hope Gaddafi is arrested and put in jail" (or "killed") because he does bad things" does not mean the same thing as "We are going to watch something very sad together. A man named Gaddafi is a cruel leader and he is paying confused and heartless people to kill innocent people. Here are pictures of some people who were killed, and other people who are wounded. These men are crying over their brother. We are going to donate (time, money, blood, etc) to help them."

I'll look for your info on Palestine.

I say this will all honesty that the people we have here make this site. We have an incredible bunch of people from all over the world, with widely different religions, views and beliefs, yet we all share information here in a spirit of friendship. I really believe we have all come together here and created something very special that you will not see anywhere else on the net.
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

It certainly is an exceptional site Janey,and to see people come together with such respect for you and each other is very encouraging ,especially now in this historic time of such upheaval and change.
I greatly appreciate all everyone has contributed, behind the scenes and on the boards.

Claudia
Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum