Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb

+19
LewNi
Godzilla85
Betsy Ross
nicdeedoop
Claudia
flick
goodmockingbird
Luna
Strawberry
Lime Flavoured
Canuck36
Lurker
Earth Cries
Paddy
BelgianBoy
cab123
trudat
lolita
Janey
23 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb - Page 4 Empty Re: Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 am

Zawiya seems to be surrounded by pro-Gadaffi army. BBC world Jeremy Bowen.
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb - Page 4 Empty Re: Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:07 am

Twitter = twickup. Works, not, works, not...
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:09 am

BelgianBoy wrote:Zawiya seems to be surrounded by pro-Gadaffi army. BBC world Jeremy Bowen.

ugh... major crackdown in 2 towns imminent? Suspect

thats a good one!

ShababLibya:
We would urge the media not to refer to the protesters as rebels, but as the pro democracy or simply Libyan people

----
I always felt a little bothered when MSN started calling the demonstrators "rebels" etc.. and in the same second showing footage from angry and shouting people who are presenting bullets and weapons to the camera.. (which they were shot at.. they didnt use them) ..but it gives some wrong impressions..
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 am

BelgianBoy wrote:Twitter = twickup. Works, not, works, not...
if its not working or having probs..

jump to mobile.twitter.com

Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:18 am

Lurker wrote:
BelgianBoy wrote:Zawiya seems to be surrounded by pro-Gadaffi army. BBC world Jeremy Bowen.

ugh... major crackdown in 2 towns imminent? Suspect

thats a good one!

ShababLibya:
We would urge the media not to refer to the protesters as rebels, but as the pro democracy or simply Libyan people

----
I always felt a little bothered when MSN started calling the demonstrators "rebels" etc.. and in the same second showing footage from angry and shouting people who are presenting bullets and weapons to the camera.. (which they were shot at.. they didnt use them) ..but it gives some wrong impressions..

I think it spreads further than 2 towns, judging by reports. Quite a major offensive
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 am

Lurker wrote:
BelgianBoy wrote:Twitter = twickup. Works, not, works, not...
if its not working or having probs..

jump to mobile.twitter.com

I did, thks to u yesterday(?)
It's just that I am so used to it...

Wink
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb - Page 4 Empty Libyan Army

Post by US Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 am

ABC International reporting that Libyan soldiers gained the confidence of protesters and then, when among the crowd of unarmed protesters, began shooting at them.

Did I misunderstand? Are there other reports confirming?

US

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 am

Janey wrote:

I think it spreads further than 2 towns, judging by reports. Quite a major offensive

If unconventional weapons are used and mass murder comitted, intervention is possible.
Janey, any comments? I know contingency planning is likely.
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:24 am

US wrote:
ABC International reporting that Libyan soldiers gained the confidence of protesters and then, when among the crowd of unarmed protesters, began shooting at them.

Saw that yesterday. Never got confirmed. Desinfo?
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:24 am

US wrote:

That one incident happened about 2 or 3 days ago.

The Free Libyans do have an ever increasingly organised and well-equipped military.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:27 am

VoltAlcantara: @cesdrilon @Karen_DaviLa @mlq3 Got phone call from OFW Jose Mendoza in Misurata #Libya. They don't want to wait (cont) http://tl.gd/91f4hq
9 minutes ago via Osfoora HD
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:28 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 am

HMS Cumberland back in Benghazi. She will leave at dusk so anyone wishing to travel are advised to board now
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 am

Spotting_Zebras ‎ Gaddafi obviously launches Sunday military offensive towards Misurata and Zawiyah. Time to move in on Surt from the east now? #Libya
Twitter - 46
46 seconds ago

‎ zzavia ‎ Infromation for lybian fredom fighters in cities Zawiya , Misurata use molotov cocktail to burn down the tanks ..use molotov cocktail
Twitter - 65
1 minute ago
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by flick Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:38 am

Has there been any air traffic in/out of Tripoli?

flick

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:39 am

OuiamY: 80% of #Libya in hands of the anti government protesters! Insallah the other 20% follow soon. #feb17 #tripoli #Gadaffi #Zawiyah
8 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

The problem is that if both sides have a well equipped army then the battles are likely be protracted and bloody.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

BelgianBoy wrote:
Janey wrote:

If unconventional weapons are used and mass murder comitted, intervention is possible.

yes, they are building up quite a large force in the Med. It is almost a certainty that if chemical or biological weaponry is used then there will be a major intervention.
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am

UK 'working intensively' to establish how many Britons remain stranded

A daring rescue operation by Special Forces flew scores of British citizens out of Libya last night as the net closed in on Col Muammar Gaddafi.

Britain has revoked the diplomatic immunity of the Libyan leader and his family, Mr Hague said as he echoed calls by US President Barack Obama for Col Gaddafi to step down.

The United Nations Security Council unanimously voted earlier to refer the brutal repression of the popular Libyan uprising to the International Criminal Court.

Sanctions also included a freeze on the assets of Mr Gaddafi and his immediate family and a global travel ban on the embattled ruler and his close associates.

The Foreign Secretary said the rescue mission was launched without the permission of the Gaddafi administration and would not speculate on whether further such operations were planned

Asked if the Libyan leader could remain in power, Mr Hague told BBC1's Andrew Marr Show: ''We have here a country descending into civil war, with atrocious scenes of killing of protesters and a government actually making war on its own so of course it is time for Colonel Gaddafi to go. That is the best hope for Libya.

''And last night I signed a directive revoking his diplomatic immunity in the United Kingdom but also the diplomatic immunity of his sons, his family, his household.

''So it is very clear where we stand on his status as the head of state.''

The Foreign Office believes "very few" Britons remain in the capital Tripoli and second city Benghazi – where HMS Cumberland returns today to pick up any more evacuees.

But upwards of 300 are thought still to be in remote desert oil areas – with fresh military-based rescue missions thought to be planned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8350308/Libya-UK-working-intensively-to-establish-how-many-Britons-remain-stranded.html
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:42 am

Janey wrote:
BelgianBoy wrote:
Janey wrote:

yes, they are building up quite a large force in the Med. It is almost a certainty that if chemical or biological weaponry is used then there will be a major intervention.

Do you think an intervention is possible without that? Especially since it seems that the UN are unwilling to agree to the use of force?

Of course if chemical weapons are used I don't think the UN would have any choice.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 am

apologies if I post stuff that youve already posted

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Ex-Libyan-Justice-Minister-Forms-Caretaker-Govt-in-East-117005953.html

Libya's former justice minister says he has formed a transitional government based in the country's east, the focal point of an uprising against Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Mustafa Abdel Jalil made the announcement in an interview with Qatar-based television network Al-Jazeera late Saturday.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 am

flick wrote:Has there been any air traffic in/out of Tripoli?

AlMasryAlYoum_E‎ EgyptAir to operate 35 flights to return Egyptians escaping Libya violence #Egyptair #Libya #Egypt
EgyptAir to operate 35 flights to return Egyptians escaping Libya ...‎ - almasryalyoum.com
Twitter - seconds ago
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Libya Rolling Updates Sunday 27 Feb - Page 4 Empty Family Book

Post by US Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 am

"Confirmed the Banks in #Tripoli given 500 lyd for each family book"

What is a "family book?" Is this akin to Gadaffi's "green book?"

US

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 am

confirmation from my sources that there ARE still people in need of rescue in desert locations, including UK and US civilians
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next