Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure?

4 posters

Go down

Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure? Empty Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 am

While we all congratulate the Egyptian people on their victory over the tyrant Mubarak, why are we not asking the more serious question. Who is the military supreme council? How are they different than Mubarak?

During the past two weeks, Egyptians have stated they support their military, however they made a very clear distinction between the "military youth", and the existing power structure of old.

Where is Mubarak? How can we be so sure this gesture is not merely "symbolic", given he is in the country still? The generals which are now in control of the country have worked step-in-step with Mubarak over the past three decades. What makes everyone so sure things will actually change now?

The military has already stated today they are suspending the constitution (essentially martial law), dissolved parliament, and they will be in charge until September. That is six months away. Alot can happen in six months.

While I agree the euphoria was as high as when Saddam Hussein was toppled, was this not a bit strategic on the supreme council's part?

Understand that I cheered with everyone else when Mubarak was toppled by the people, however, I was surprised to learn the military is waiting until September to start the election process. Why not sooner? What are they hiding? I also realize this is all speculation and may be too early to tell, but given the history of dictatorships in the middle east, I think we need to sleep with one eye open, and emit a sense of caution amidst all of our joy.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure? Empty Re: Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure?

Post by Tangy Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 pm

I was just reading that he is in a coma???

# 19:28
Reports: Mubarak in Germany for medical care after falling into a coma (Haaretz)

http://www.haaretz.com/misc/breaking-news
Tangy
Tangy

Back to top Go down

Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure? Empty Re: Mubarak gone, how can we be so sure?

Post by Tangy Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 pm

http://m.current.com/news/92987319_mubarak-in-life-death-state-in-germany-hospital.htm

We have learned through foreign sources that Hosni Mubarak was flown this morning to a Baden hospital in Germany after falling into a coma. The report was confirmed this morning by Bahrain daily Al Wasat who indicated that just prior to leaving for his resort in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Mubarak became comatose.

Apparently, prior to delivering his last speech on national Egyptian television, we also learned that Mubarak had fainted. This is the explanation given for the delay between the announcement of his anticipated speech and his actual appearance several hours later.
Tangy
Tangy

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 am

Somebody trying to off Hosni before he starts to sing? And to your point, OP, I think whether or not the military does the right thing is still to be seen. Egypt's under a bit of a microscope right now with the world waiting for Egyptian freedom. Hopefully they need until September to put safeguards in against fraud, which greatly marred the last Parliamentary election (and which we know is a huge problem)...and to clean house of some really bad guys.

Or, they could be Mubarak 2.0
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:14 pm

As much as I hate to say I told you so...

Egypt crisis: Protests switch to demands on pay: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12448413

The problem lies within how they (the supreme council) is handling the situation. It is very premature to make judgment calls, that I understand, however El-Baradei did mention that this may happen, and is the reason why he called on the military to help transition to civilian ASAP (not in six months). An action plan NOW, or at least advise the citizens they are actively working with opposition parties to formulate an action plan to prepare for elections as soon as possible.

I reiterate, alot can happen in six months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I would rather hear about where his evil henchman is!

Janey said that Mubarak is not in Germany and Babsi said he is still in Egypt
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Strawberry
Smile How are you today?

Actually I feel the same - I could care about Mubarak, he's old and sick. What worries me more where Gamal and Sillyman are, those 2 are dangerous. I'd feel much better if they were locked up somehow and Friday at the party we could see them hanging along with Adly in Tahrir. At least we'd know then what they're up to, lol. I know it sounds awful, but seriously I wouldn't put it past them to start some BS as revenge.

Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down