Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people

+10
Lurker
goodmockingbird
Janey
Babsi
Joe Bese
Limpan
Myhaloisgone
BelgianBoy
snark
Strawberry
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people Empty Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's military rulers are expected on Tuesday to step up efforts to restore stability, hoping a promise of a swift transition to democracy will prevent a new flare-up in the protests which forced out Hosni Mubarak.
Facing a wave of strikes, the military rulers held talks on Monday with young activists who were at the forefront of the uprising which ousted president Mubarak on Friday.

Wael Ghonim, a Google executive who had been detained for his part in the uprising, said members of the military council had told him a plebiscite would be held on constitutional amendments in two months.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague also said Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik had let him know that he would reshuffle his cabinet in the coming week to bring in opposition figures.

But with anger still smoldering over rising prices and economic hardship, the military face a difficult balancing act in restoring stability while allaying deep suspicions about its readiness to relinquish power.

Using their new-found freedom of expression and protest, workers on Monday rallied in Cairo and other cities to complain about low pay and poor working conditions.

Protests, sit-ins and strikes have occurred at state-owned institutions across Egypt, including the stock exchange, textile and steel firms, media groups, the postal services and railways.

Pro-democracy leaders also say Egyptians will demonstrate again if their demands for radical change are not met. They plan a big "Victory March" on Friday to celebrate the revolution.

Tuesday will be a national holiday to mark the Prophet Mohammad's birthday.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE70O3UW20110215

Last edited by Strawberry on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people Empty Re: Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people

Post by snark Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:42 pm

The interesting thing will be WHAT are they doing to restore stability, and is it cleaning house or is it governing with a heavy hand?
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people Empty Re: Egypt's military seeks to restore stability/and a new dawn for the Egyptian people

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 am

Sounds like it is both Sad
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:15 am

RT @AJEnglish Ex-judge appointed by military to head #Egypt reform panel http://aje.me/fRLd35 "strong supporter of indep judiciary"
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Myhaloisgone Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 am

Good morning. Just a thought, and not a good one really...but what IF this was a purposeful military coup due to Mubarak's imminent death? It seems to me that things are a bit too surreal. The transfer of power was clouded with lies, false information and just the fact that we never did actually SEE the man state he was relinquishing his position makes me doubt...or think deeper....whichever . Seems to be an awful lot of nations that have much at stake here...
Myhaloisgone
Myhaloisgone

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 am

Myhaloisgone wrote:Good morning. Just a thought, and not a good one really...but what IF this was a purposeful military coup due to Mubarak's imminent death? It seems to me that things are a bit too surreal. The transfer of power was clouded with lies, false information and just the fact that we never did actually SEE the man state he was relinquishing his position makes me doubt...or think deeper....whichever . Seems to be an awful lot of nations that have much at stake here...

For me personally the jury is still out having seen strong evidence for both sides.

I posted an article yesterday linking Soros, that El Baradi bloke (sorry cant remember how to spell these names) and the google executive Wael Gohim (sp) before the protests started.

I came back and deleted it as it didnt feel right and strangely enough I havent seen anyone else talk about it so it wasnt common knowledge.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Limpan Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 am

I thought it was strange yesterday, with Clinton making a speech about Iran.
Limpan
Limpan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 am

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20110215/INTERNATIONAL-US-EGYPT-MUBARAK-HEALTH/

Mubaraks' health is detiorating and he is refusing treatment
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 am

Limpan wrote:I thought it was strange yesterday, with Clinton making a speech about Iran.

That's not strange, that's part of her job. She has to stir their pot at every opportunity.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 am

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20110129/INTERNATIONAL-US-EGYPT/

CAIRO — Egypt's new military rulers said on Tuesday they hoped to hand power over to an elected civilian leadership within six months and that they had no desire to keep control following the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak.

The remarks carried on the state agency were the clearest indication since Mubarak was forced to resign on Friday that the high command was committed to a brief timeframe for meeting the demands of pro-democracy protesters for a new start.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am

There's so much conspiracy now - but people need to understand something.

The people of Egypt had been angry for years, what caused the determination to start this Revolution was events from last year, with the police brutality, the latest church bombing in Alexandria the last straw. They realized they were being played, abused, mistreated, the prices were rising. This was planned months ago. Just so happened that Tunisia started and succeeded, that def gave more people hope and courage.

So, re Mubarak, His health was deteriorating before the demo's...he was supposed to go to Germany Jan. 26th, but of course couldn't when the Demonstrations started. They knew their Regime was under threat, that's why they set off the bomb in Alexandria.

The people did not want to wait for Mubarak to die, because his son Gamal would have slipped in immediately. Also they wanted the whole corrupt system to be gone. The only way to achieve this was with the help of a military coup. You guys remember how they cheered when the first tanks rolled in? Chanting "the military and the people are one". This was planned by the people.

Now I don't deny there's some interference from outside forces, we all know Israel tried to help Mubarak, US changed sides and collaborated with egyptian military, but in the end. The people here did and got exactly what they wanted.

We see now clear evidence that the Military has no interest in staying in power, they have done everything, except ending the emergency law, but I think this will happen once they feel things are secure and stable, And that isn't the case yet. There could be loyalists out there who would try to sabotage now, and also some criminals may still be on the loose. We still have a curfew. However, there's also no Martial Law rule, they have stated that they will be in charge under the current law and respect the demands of people.

Today they have announced that a judge is working on the Amendments of the Constitution and will be finished in 10 days. So they are moving fast. This is key step to make it possible for democratic elections to take place. Mubarak had it written in such a way, that it was illegal for any opposition to run against him in elections. Also I think for the PM to invite opposition groups to be part of the cabinet is also a good move.

Still vigilant though, but I think they're on the right track. Egypt may just surprise the rest of the world once again...
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-277MRYuM

I thought this was quite appropriate to Egyptian celebration!

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am

Babsi wrote:There's so much conspiracy now - but people need to understand something.

The people of Egypt had been angry for years, what caused the determination to start this Revolution was events from last year, with the police brutality, the latest church bombing in Alexandria the last straw. They realized they were being played, abused, mistreated, the prices were rising. This was planned months ago. Just so happened that Tunisia started and succeeded, that def gave more people hope and courage.

So, re Mubarak, His health was deteriorating before the demo's...he was supposed to go to Germany Jan. 26th, but of course couldn't when the Demonstrations started. They knew their Regime was under threat, that's why they set off the bomb in Alexandria.

The people did not want to wait for Mubarak to die, because his son Gamal would have slipped in immediately. Also they wanted the whole corrupt system to be gone. The only way to achieve this was with the help of a military coup. You guys remember how they cheered when the first tanks rolled in? Chanting "the military and the people are one". This was planned by the people.

Now I don't deny there's some interference from outside forces, we all know Israel tried to help Mubarak, US changed sides and collaborated with egyptian military, but in the end. The people here did and got exactly what they wanted.

We see now clear evidence that the Military has no interest in staying in power, they have done everything, except ending the emergency law, but I think this will happen once they feel things are secure and stable, And that isn't the case yet. There could be loyalists out there who would try to sabotage now, and also some criminals may still be on the loose. We still have a curfew. However, there's also no Martial Law rule, they have stated that they will be in charge under the current law and respect the demands of people.

Today they have announced that a judge is working on the Amendments of the Constitution and will be finished in 10 days. So they are moving fast. This is key step to make it possible for democratic elections to take place. Mubarak had it written in such a way, that it was illegal for any opposition to run against him in elections. Also I think for the PM to invite opposition groups to be part of the cabinet is also a good move.

Still vigilant though, but I think they're on the right track. Egypt may just surprise the rest of the world once again...

I really do appreciate your analysis Babsi. You tell it like only someone living there could and it is very much welcomed here!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 am

Janey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-277MRYuM

I thought this was quite appropriate to Egyptian celebration!

Sad It says this video has content from Sony music and is not available in my country. Too bad..bet it's a nice vid
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:26 am

Janey wrote:
Babsi wrote:There's so much conspiracy now - but people need to understand something.

I really do appreciate your analysis Babsi. You tell it like only someone living there could and it is very much welcomed here!

Thanks Janey - I know I ramble on and on...but there's now so much analysis and conspiracy about how the coup happened and so on. I was here and saw how it went down, and I feel it was the people's victory and the outcome was exactly as they wanted. The military taking over eliminated the Regime, Parliament, Constitution...anything else would have left the people with the same Regime and Constitution in place and probably nothing or not much would have changed. Clean slate, new start, that's the only way to have a true democratic state.
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Seeking real benefits of a revolution: people's rights to a decent living, education, health, pension, and democracy everywhere,, and worker's rights to collectively bargain without interference. And if these cant be attained, or are being sacrificed for the word "stability" then Egypt will not rest. Can we be a little more accurate?

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Winners and Losers of the Revolution

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/02/14/winners_and_losers_of_the_revolution

Interesting analysis. Winners include the protestors, Al Jazeera and China, losers include Al qaeda, the Pax Americana and the Muslim Brotherhood, among others.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Mexico wrote:Seeking real benefits of a revolution: people's rights to a decent living, education, health, pension, and democracy everywhere,, and worker's rights to collectively bargain without interference. And if these cant be attained, or are being sacrificed for the word "stability" then Egypt will not rest. Can we be a little more accurate?

My concern is that some of the younger, more naive protestors may have unreasonably high expectations of some new utopian society spontaneously emerging.

Life is hard, and its harder when your infrastructure is in shambles.

Let's say they manage to get Mubarak's billions back. And let's say corrupt police and officials are quickly brought to account.

Numerous industries have been crippled, and their economy must entirely reconfigure.

Egypt can and will set new high standards for civilisation itself. But it is a grueling process.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Mexico1 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 pm

These strikes build on a recent history of labour activism that has grown since the early 2000s to be the most vibrant force for change in Egypt. Driven by the drastic deterioration in the living and working conditions of the majority of the Egyptian people that followed the regime’s compliance with IMF and World Bank demands for the privatization of state-controlled enterprises, the last decade has seen a constantly rising tide of grassroots workplace actions. And as that movement has spread and grown in confidence, its demands have become more and more explicitly political. As Mahalla strike leader Muhammad al-’Attar told a rally in September 2007, “I want the whole government to resign.... I want the Mubarak regime to come to an end. Politics and workers’ rights are inseparable. Work is politics by itself. What we are witnessing here right now, this is as democratic as it gets.”

For Egypt’s workers, the revolution is not just about an image or an emotion. It is about concrete demands, based on their concrete experience of what it is like to go without food, to be unable to pay for their children’s education, and to witness at first hand the corruption that illicitly breeds obscene levels of wealth. And it is rooted in their experience of mounting countless “illegal” actions that have united their communities, built bridges with other forces within Egyptian society, and demonstrated many times over how sheer force of numbers could overwhelm the repressive apparatus of a regime that was looking increasingly neurotic and out-of-touch.

much more..

Mexico1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm

goodmockingbird wrote:
Mexico wrote:Seeking real benefits of a revolution: people's rights to a decent living, education, health, pension, and democracy everywhere,, and worker's rights to collectively bargain without interference. And if these cant be attained, or are being sacrificed for the word "stability" then Egypt will not rest. Can we be a little more accurate?

My concern is that some of the younger, more naive protestors may have unreasonably high expectations of some new utopian society spontaneously emerging.

Life is hard, and its harder when your infrastructure is in shambles.

Let's say they manage to get Mubarak's billions back. And let's say corrupt police and officials are quickly brought to account.

Numerous industries have been crippled, and their economy must entirely reconfigure.

Egypt can and will set new high standards for civilisation itself. But it is a grueling process.

This is where the distinction between Mubarak and the regime becomes a matter of political consciousness. The regime itself steals billions on a regular basis, it is systematic. I am not sure what infrastructure you are talking about, but human capital, schools and hospitals are as important as roads and bridges. It is a question of true democratic governance how people priorize what is needed. It isnt either collective bargaining or stability,,, A bridge or a school. If the military generals are making these types of trade offs it is because they are representing an old regime of an elite ruling class that doesnt want the revolution to interfere in their status quo...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

About the police, read from bottom up...

Sandmonkey..

And we can't forget them. We can't ignore them. Their lives were taken from them by those who swore to uphold justice. Inexcusable.
10 minutes ago via web

Those thousands they falsely imprisoned. Those people who are called criminals because the officer needed a fall guy, they need to be freed.
12 minutes ago via web

There must be thousands of people right now, serving time in jail for crimes they didn't commit coz an officer couldn't investigate shit.
14 minutes ago via web

Also, that's the only way to know how many people they have falsely imprisoned by making them confess using torture to close cases.
15 minutes ago via web

Let them say how many they beat, tortured, false imprisoned & killed. Let them face themselves before asking us to forgive them.
16 minutes ago via web

Give them a blanket pardon, but tell them to tell us everything. Confess all the crimes. All the sins. EVERYTHING. On the record.
17 minutes ago via web

But, given that we have almost 1.5 million criminals in a 1.7 million police force, we might need to use option # 2: Truth & reconciliation
18 minutes ago via web

If I did those things, I should be punished. They are the protectors of the law & the people, their punishment should be twice mine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Mexico wrote:About the police, read from bottom up...

Sandmonkey..

And we can't forget them. We can't ignore them. Their lives were taken from them by those who swore to uphold justice. Inexcusable.
10 minutes ago via web

Those thousands they falsely imprisoned. Those people who are called criminals because the officer needed a fall guy, they need to be freed.
12 minutes ago via web

There must be thousands of people right now, serving time in jail for crimes they didn't commit coz an officer couldn't investigate shit.
14 minutes ago via web

Also, that's the only way to know how many people they have falsely imprisoned by making them confess using torture to close cases.
15 minutes ago via web

Let them say how many they beat, tortured, false imprisoned & killed. Let them face themselves before asking us to forgive them.
16 minutes ago via web

Give them a blanket pardon, but tell them to tell us everything. Confess all the crimes. All the sins. EVERYTHING. On the record.
17 minutes ago via web

But, given that we have almost 1.5 million criminals in a 1.7 million police force, we might need to use option # 2: Truth & reconciliation
18 minutes ago via web

If I did those things, I should be punished. They are the protectors of the law & the people, their punishment should be twice mine.

Very moving stuff. I hope justice is served.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Babsi wrote: ... The only way to achieve this was with the help of a military coup. You guys remember how they cheered when the first tanks rolled in? Chanting "the military and the people are one". This was planned by the people. ...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110211/D9LAS3U00.html

Military Coup Was Behind Mubarak's Exit
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:26 am

Egyptian army manoeuvres in attempt to cut across worker protests

http://uruknet.info/?p=m75023&hd=&size=1&l=e
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Strawberry wrote:Egyptian army manoeuvres in attempt to cut across worker protests

http://uruknet.info/?p=m75023&hd=&size=1&l=e

Interesting analyses. It goes to show that the ruling elite are well versed in class analyses. It is also interesting how political parties based on narrow petty concerns are used to fracture mass unity to maintain the elite's absolute control.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next