Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week

3 posters

Go down

What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week Empty What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week

Post by Alaskan Girl Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:31 pm

It's easy to see why both sides in the Washington budget battle agree—publicly, at least—that they don't want to see the government close down. When federal agencies were shuttered twice, for a combined 27 days, during 1995 and 1996, unemployment and welfare checks stopped, overseas travel was disrupted, economic reports went dark, and home loans were put on hold. House Republicans received the blame and later paid the price in the election booth.

The Obama Administration isn't saying what exactly it will do if the federal government runs out of funding on March 4. Officially, lawmakers insist they will reach at least a temporary agreement on funding levels before then. House Republicans plan to vote next week on a two-week funding extension that would cut $4 billion, while Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has proposed a 30-day extension that maintains current funding.

Read the entire article here: http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/feb2011/pi20110224_184452.htm
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week Empty Re: What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week

Post by LewNi Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:55 am

I have been hearing about this increasingly on the news here. It sounds really scary to me, especially when they add things like "don't expect to go to parks or take your trash to the dump"

So is it really as bad as all of that. Well the news has an answer for that too, "this is a fairly common thing, its like we would be left out in the cold"
I do not know what to believe and am looking into it. Personally, it scares the heck out of me and I don't think that should be an option.
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week Empty Re: What Could Happen if the Federal Government Shuts Down Next Week

Post by Alaskan Girl Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:29 am

I remember the last 2 shut downs. Most folks lives weren't really that disrupted. The economy was good then. It isn't now. These days we have many more people receiving Govt. benefits. I fear it would do more harm this time around. Hopefully, they will come to some sort of extension.
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Mary Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 am

I have been keeping an eye on this, since my families sole income is from Social Security. This month we do happen to get paid on the 1st and the 3rd so our entire monthly income for March will be "in hand" before the shut down (if it happens.) I totally feel for those people that get their social security on the new schedule of a different Wednesday through out the month. If it was to happen.
Mother Mary
Mother Mary

http://tbsforum.thebroadspectrum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down