Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

+8
Janey
Lurker
Aetius Romulous
Lime Flavoured
Strawberry
miabelieves
nivron
Joe Bese
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread Empty Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Joe Bese Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 am

Mehdi Karroubi, an Iranian opposition leader, said Tuesday that a demonstration planned in Tehran next week, nominally in solidarity with the protest movements in Egypt and Tunisia, was a test both for the Iranian government and its opponents.

Since Tehran is painting events in Cairo and elsewhere as the long-awaited regional blossoming of its own Islamic Revolution, to deny a permit for such a march would show that its position in support of the Arab movements is fake, Mr. Karroubi said in a rare interview from Tehran, conducted via an Internet video link.

For the Iranian opposition, events in Cairo mirror the post-election protest movement in Iran in 2009, not the 1979 Islamic Revolution, and could give new life to the Green movement for political reform, which Mr. Karroubi said had largely been battered into submission by government oppression.

“Any kind of event that involves the rise of the people and the fight against dictatorship in the Muslim world and in the Arab world is in our benefit,” said Mr. Karroubi, 72, speaking in Persian from his home, where he is largely isolated. “Next Monday will be a test for the Green movement — if the government issues a permit, there will be a huge demonstration and it will show how alive the Green movement is.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/world/middleeast/09iran.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha22

Something to look forward to next week, I guess.

Last edited by Joe Bese on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Joe Bese Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Or not, if this guy has his way...

Iran prosecutor warns against opposition rally
Wednesday, February 9, 2011; 10:15 AM

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's state prosecutor on Wednesday said the opposition should not stage its own rally in support of Egyptian protesters, warning of repercussions if it does so.

"Anybody who really intends to support the heroic people of Egypt will attend the rally Friday, along with people from all walks of life," he said. Ejehi issued a vague warning against any efforts to stage an alternative rally, saying: "Our people are vigilant and will respond ... if necessary."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/09/AR2011020902285.html
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Joe Bese Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 am

Another day, another dissident arrested. Welcome to Iran...

Iran backs Egypt's protests, but nixes opposition show of support

Irony alert: Although Iran's establishment supports the Egyptian popular protests, the government has placed under house arrest an Iranian opposition figure who called for a rally on Monday in Tehran to show support for them, the BBC reports.

The official website of 72-year-old cleric Mehdi Karroubi, a former speaker of parliament and candidate for president, announced the house arrest and says that only his wife is being allowed to enter the place.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/02/iran-backs-egypts-protests-but-nixes-opposition-show-of-support/1
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 am

I don't know if many of you are reading this, but I think it's important, so I'll provide updates as I stumble across them.

Iran Presses Opposition to Refrain From Rally

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/world/middleeast/11iran.html?hp

TEHRAN — Iran’s authorities have increased pressure on the country’s political opposition days before a rally proposed by opposition leaders in support of the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt.

Security forces stationed outside the home of the reformist cleric Mehdi Karroubi, one of the country’s most prominent opposition leaders, prevented Mr. Karroubi’s son from seeing his father on Thursday, according to the son, Hossein.

The elder Mr. Karroubi and another government critic, Mir Hussein Moussavi, had submitted a formal request to the government to hold the rally on Feb. 14. Opposition Web sites have also reported the arrest of a number of people associated with the two opposition leaders. On Wednesday night, Taghi Rahmani, an activist close to Mr. Karroubi, and Mohammad-Hossein Sharifzadegan, a former welfare minister and an adviser to Mr. Moussavi, were arrested at their homes by Iran’s security forces. The Web sites also reported Thursday that two reformist journalists had been arrested.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by nivron Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 am

Joe,

I think that it is important too. Now that Egypt has finally disposed of Mubarak, I think there will be a domino effect across many other countries in the region. I unfortunately believe that if Iran attempts to "pull an Egypt", there will be much bloodshed. I don't know what they can do to show their political stance without being targeted. But I do believe in people being in control of their countries without oppression.

Joe Bese wrote:I don't know if many of you are reading this, but I think it's important, so I'll provide updates as I stumble across them.

TEHRAN — Iran’s authorities have increased pressure on the country’s political opposition days before a rally proposed by opposition leaders in support of the popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt.

Security forces stationed outside the home of the reformist cleric Mehdi Karroubi, one of the country’s most prominent opposition leaders, prevented Mr. Karroubi’s son from seeing his father on Thursday, according to the son, Hossein.

The elder Mr. Karroubi and another government critic, Mir Hussein Moussavi, had submitted a formal request to the government to hold the rally on Feb. 14. Opposition Web sites have also reported the arrest of a number of people associated with the two opposition leaders. On Wednesday night, Taghi Rahmani, an activist close to Mr. Karroubi, and Mohammad-Hossein Sharifzadegan, a former welfare minister and an adviser to Mr. Moussavi, were arrested at their homes by Iran’s security forces. The Web sites also reported Thursday that two reformist journalists had been arrested.

nivron
nivron

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am

nivron wrote:Joe,

I think that it is important too. Now that Egypt has finally disposed of Mubarak, I think there will be a domino effect across many other countries in the region. I unfortunately believe that if Iran attempts to "pull an Egypt", there will be much bloodshed. I don't know what they can do to show their political stance without being targeted. But I do believe in people being in control of their countries without oppression.

Joe Bese wrote:I don't know if many of you are reading this, but I think it's important, so I'll provide updates as I stumble across them.

Hello Niv. I hope the Iranian organizers have learned a thing or two about misleading the police etc. from the egyptians. I guess we'll see next week.

Love that avatar btw.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am

U.S. slams Iranian 'hypocrisy' for arrests, blocking media

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/11/us.iran.hypocrisy/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- The United States slammed Iran's "hypocrisy" for arresting opposition figures and the blocking of world media outlets as TV networks focus their attention on the uprising in Egypt and the widespread unrest in other parts of the Arab world.

"For all of its empty talk about Egypt, the government of Iran should allow the Iranian people the same universal right to peacefully assemble, demonstrate and communicate in Tehran that the people are exercising in Cairo," National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said Friday.

"Governments must respect the rights of their people and be responsive to their aspirations."

Iranian leaders praised the Egyptian and Tunisian uprisings and said they were reminiscent of the 1979 Iranian revolution that toppled the shah of Iran and ushered in a hard-line and theocratic Islamic republic.

But Iranian authorities have blocked reformist websites and detained several opposition supporters and activists, opposition website Saham News reported Thursday. This comes just days after two leading opposition figures called for a rally on February 14 in support of the uprisings in North Africa and the Middle East.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am

Iran's Ahmadinejad claims ownership of Mideast 'divine awakening'

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/0211/Mubarak-out-as-Iran-s-Ahmadinejad-claims-ownership-of-Mideast-divine-awakening

Iranians marked the 32nd anniversary of their Islamic revolution on Friday, with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad claiming that Iran was the vanguard of a popular and divine "awakening” now under way “in every corner of this planet.”

State television showed split-screen images juxtaposing the annual rally in Tehran with Egyptians massing in Cairo, as Mr. Ahmadinejad said that Iran’s 1979 revolution was inspiring a “new Middle East” with popular upheavals.

Iran’s revolution was “the starting point of the rule of God over the earth,” Ahmadinejad proclaimed. “It’s a long path to fight against evil-doers; everyone must be aware of Satanic deceptions” of the United States, Israel, and the West, he said; they would soon be “destroyed” with divine assistance, as Iran led humankind to “summits of perfection.”

Iran's 1979 revolution electrified the Middle East by toppling a US-backed dictator with people power. Ahmadinejad’s speech, given just hours before Egypt's Hosni Mubarak stepped down from power, is the latest in a series of attempts by senior Iranian officials to take ownership of the popular unrest spreading through Arab nations.

Despite the revolutionary rhetoric, many Arabs note the irony of Iran giving advice, when it crushed its own pro-democracy movement in 2009.

In Sunni Egypt especially, protesters and the embattled government alike have dismissed any connection to Shiite Iran, past or present, as inappropriate and unwanted. One Egyptian minister told Iran’s supreme leader to hear calls for freedom in Iran, instead of “distracting the Iranian people’s attention by hiding behind [events] in Egypt.”
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by AK girl Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Gibbs was on Fox about an hour ago. He said Iran was arresting people and shutting down the internet. pale Not that I believe everything that comes out of the Whitehouse, mind you.

AK girl

Back to top Go down

Post by miabelieves Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, I am reading...so keep a posting....thanks
miabelieves
miabelieves

Back to top Go down

Post by miabelieves Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 pm

ran’s revolution was “the starting point of the rule of God over the earth,” Ahmadinejad proclaimed. “It’s a long path to fight against evil-doers; everyone must be aware of Satanic deceptions” of the United States, Israel, and the West, he said; they would soon be “destroyed” with divine assistance, as Iran led humankind to “summits of perfection.”

that worries this ole gal
miabelieves
miabelieves

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

miabelieves wrote:ran’s revolution was “the starting point of the rule of God over the earth,” Ahmadinejad proclaimed. “It’s a long path to fight against evil-doers; everyone must be aware of Satanic deceptions” of the United States, Israel, and the West, he said; they would soon be “destroyed” with divine assistance, as Iran led humankind to “summits of perfection.”

I try not to worry about the ravings of loonies, but it might be risky to underestimate them.

HE doesn't worry me as much as the unknown generals of the Republican Guard.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Joe Bese wrote:
miabelieves wrote:ran’s revolution was “the starting point of the rule of God over the earth,” Ahmadinejad proclaimed. “It’s a long path to fight against evil-doers; everyone must be aware of Satanic deceptions” of the United States, Israel, and the West, he said; they would soon be “destroyed” with divine assistance, as Iran led humankind to “summits of perfection.”

I try not to worry about the ravings of loonies, but it might be risky to underestimate them.

HE doesn't worry me as much as the unknown generals of the Republican Guard.

Joe thanks for keeping us updated and I will be watching this closely now.

Mia thats two things there that worries me. I also see Satanic deceptions in the West but I also see them coming from the mouth of Ahmadinejad. His vision of perfection feels me with dread and I hope that the Iranian people and the rest of the world never have to experience them.

Joe is the best source Alj or is it all going quiet now?
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Strawberry wrote:Joe is the best source Alj or is it all going quiet now?

I have no idea what the best source is, I just post links as I find them. I don't twitter myself, but that may be the place to look when things start to break.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Joe Bese wrote:
Strawberry wrote:Joe is the best source Alj or is it all going quiet now?

I have no idea what the best source is, I just post links as I find them. I don't twitter myself, but that may be the place to look when things start to break.

TY Joe

Yes to tweetter I will put the tweeter map up tonight and see if anything comes out

Is it likely to break soon do you know?
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

If anything happens, it will be tomorrow, Tehran time. By the time I wake up it may be over, but I hope not.

Iran Opposition Moves Ahead with Rally Plan, Despite Warnings

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Iran-Opposition-Moves-Ahead-with-Rally-Plan-Despite-Warnings-116111749.html

Iranian opposition leaders are moving forward with plans to hold a rally Monday in Tehran in support of successful anti-government uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

Iran's Interior Ministry has refused to grant permission for the rally, which one government official has termed "riots for seditionists."

The Iranian opposition leaders say the anti-government protests in Egypt and Tunisia were similar to those that took place in Iran following the 2009 presidential election which returned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power. Mousavi and Karroubi labeled that election rigged and helped organize protests that were eventually put down by Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

On Saturday, U.S. National Security advisor Tom Donilon urged Iran's government to allow the Iranian people the same rights to peacefully assemble, demonstrate and communicate that were being exercised in Cairo.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Iran's opposition does not have strong support within the country. I suspect these demonstrations will quickly come to an end. Iran is not Egypt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Praetorian wrote:Iran's opposition does not have strong support within the country. I suspect these demonstrations will quickly come to an end. Iran is not Egypt.

Agreed. The best thing the Iranian govt could do is allow a peaceful protest and not interfere. If they crack down hard and produce lots of violent tweets and videosw, the protests could grow. We shall see.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Joe Bese wrote:
Praetorian wrote:Iran's opposition does not have strong support within the country. I suspect these demonstrations will quickly come to an end. Iran is not Egypt.

Agreed. The best thing the Iranian govt could do is allow a peaceful protest and not interfere. If they crack down hard and produce lots of violent tweets and videosw, the protests could grow. We shall see.

Exactly. Whether the Iranian leadership are likely to think like this is a different matter.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Update:

...The opposition's call has gained momentum on social networking websites like Facebook, with more than 48,000 people pledging to participate on one protest group's Facebook page.

"Our meeting point is Azadi (Liberty) square on Monday," proclaims graffiti spray-painted on some walls, bus stations and newspaper stands in Tehran.

The Revolutionary Guards have repeatedly warned the opposition not to create another "security crisis."

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/02/13/world/international-uk-iran-opposition-rally.html?ref=world

The government has taken extraordinary measures in the past few days, deploying security forces to the main squares in Tehran and erecting checkpoints in various parts of Tehran.

The authorities have portrayed the opposition movement as a foreign-backed plot to undermine the Islamic establishment, an accusation denied by opposition leaders.

They say the pro-democracy movement is alive in Iran and argue that the rally is a test for both the Iranian government and its opponents.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 am

I'm not finding much in the MSM, but I haven't had much time to look so far. If Janey or anyone else sees anything worth posting, please don't hesitate.

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Scores of Iranian security forces deployed in the streets of Tehran on Monday to prevent a planned opposition rally in solidarity with popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia that toppled their presidents, witnesses said.

The day is likely to be a test of strength for the reformist opposition, which has not taken to the streets since December 2009, when eight people were killed. Iranian security forces are still unlikely to hesitate to use all means to stop any protest.

Opposition leaders Mirhossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi took advantage of official Iranian backing for the huge Arab street protests to call their own demonstrations in support, but authorities refused their request.

The opposition nevertheless renewed the call for the rally. Iranian authorities have warned the opposition to avoid creating a "security crisis" by reviving protests that erupted after the vote, the biggest unrest in Iran since the 1979 revolution.

"There are dozens of police and security forces in Vali-ye Asr Avenue ... They have blocked entrances of metro stations in the area," a witness told Reuters by telephone, referring to a large thoroughfare that cuts through Tehran...

Mousavi says the freedom movement is alive. But his campaign is fading as many Iranians feel the former prime minister lacks the courage to confront the establishment from which he sprang. The opposition denies having any links to the enemies abroad.

Many Iranians critical of the government now seem unwilling to risk violence or arrest with displays of dissent. But the opposition's call has gained momentum on social networking websites, with more than 56,000 people pledging to participate on one protest group's Facebook page.
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/02/14/world/international-us-iran-opposition.html?_r=1&ref=world
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetius Romulous Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:17 am

In my opinion, the major difference between Egypt and Iran is that the United States is in a "cold war" with Iran, which it considers an enemy and an existential threat to Israel. This fact will always colour the Iranian leaderships response to anything - they feel surrounded, vulnerable, and under constant threat of attack.

It is understandable when viewed through this prism that Iran's response will be much different, and that the Wests response will in turn carry baggage and innuendo that will serve only to perpetuate the conflict. I have to admit, if I were giving advice to Iranian leadership it would be to maintain Iranian stability at any cost, or lose the war to the west.

If America could shed its hatred, disdain, and suspicion of Iran there would be a much greater chance of regime change there, but as it is, the external full court press the Iranians are constantly under requires them to behave differently.

I have long believed the best way to deal with the situation is to simply....

Give Iran "The Bomb"
Aetius Romulous
Aetius Romulous

http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:23 am

Waving cheers

ajimran #Iran #25Bahman: Thousands of protesters now marching in Tehran. Police has responded with tear gas. Police are attacking with batons
12 minutes ago via Seesmic Web
Retweeted by bencnn and 46 others
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 am

Last edited by Strawberry on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next