Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates

3 posters

Go down

Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates Empty Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates

Post by Lurker Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 am

Since today a ceremony for remembering the former PM Rafik Hariri was held, I thought we could start our first Lebanon Thread here

Saad Hariri challenging Hezbollah

Hariri's Murder Anniversary a Threshold to New Opposition's Campaign against Miqati's Cabinet

The ceremony to mark the event will be held at the BIEL exhibition center in Beirut at 4:00 pm.

Caretaker Premier Saad Hariri is the main speaker and will deliver the keynote address. Phalange Party leader Amin Gemayel and Lebanese Forces chief Samir Geagea will also address the rally which is expected to draw more than 6,000 people.

Ministers in the caretaker cabinet, MPs from the March 14 coalition and pro-Hariri journalists are expected to attend.

Full:
http://www.naharnet.com/domino/tn/NewsDesk.nsf/0/6AB924AD062D9972C2257837002987D9?OpenDocument

--------------
March 8 will face opposition if it miscalculates, Gemayel says

Kataeb Party leader Amin Gemayel on Monday said that if Prime Minister-designate Najib Mikati and the March 8 coalition fail to create a true partnership cabinet, then March 14 will go into opposition.

“If [March 8] is stubborn and miscalculates, and carries out its coup, they will face an eager, open and resisting opposition,” he added during the March 14 alliance ceremony at BIEL commemorating the 2005 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Full:
http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=240596

Last edited by Lurker on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates Empty Re: Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates

Post by Lurker Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 am

Hariri says March 14 will enter opposition, calls for rally

Outgoing Prime Minister Saad Hariri on Monday announced that the March 14 alliance would enter the opposition and called for a rally in a month at Beirut’s Martyrs Square to voice the alliance’s principles.

“[March 14] is now in the opposition based on committing to the constitution, Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) and protecting the Lebanese from the use of [non-state] weapons,” Hariri said during a ceremony at BIEL commemorating the 2005 assassination of his father, former PM Rafik Hariri.

“I address those who [forced the collapse of my government], and thank them for letting me go back to my roots,” he added.

Full:
http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=240604
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates Empty Re: Lebanon Thread - #feb27 - Rolling Updates

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm

A little more inflammatory version:

BEIRUT (AP) — Lebanon's outgoing prime minister said Monday he is joining the opposition, signaling he will be a fierce opponent of Hezbollah after the Iranian-backed militant group forced the collapse of his government last month.

Saad Hariri, who is serving as a caretaker until a new government is formed, spoke during a ceremony to mark the sixth anniversary of the assassination of his father, former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Addressing thousands of his supporters in Beirut, Hariri accused Hezbollah and its allies of "lies, betrayal and lack of loyalty."

"Our mistake may have been that we extended our hand truthfully every time," Hariri said, speaking of his fallen government, which the U.S. and other Western powers supported. "But we were met every time with deceit, and our genuine intention was taken as a point of weakness and a sign of fear."

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Swinburnian Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 pm

In my desk there are two pictures: one of my father, [former PM] Rafik Hariri, who was assassinated on Feb 14, 2005; and another of the crowds gathered on March 14, 2005.

- Rafik Hariri became a martyr six years ago because he said no to granting the fate of Lebanon and changing its truth, because he said no to a security regime, because he said no to renouncing the Taif Accord, because he said no to changing the image of Lebanon, the free, sovereign and independent, and [this is why] they killed him on February 14, [2005].

When they came and told me take these photos down and renounce them so we let you [become] the country’s premier, my answer was, ‘These are my roots and I will not give up on my roots.’

- My answer was that the premiership is an honest expression of the Lebanese people who voted in the elections. Go ahead and forge the will of the Lebanese, but I, Saad Rafik Hariri, stick to these roots, and I will not give up on them.

http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=240620
Swinburnian
Swinburnian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:02 am

NowLebanon:
LIVE: Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah threatens to ‘liberate Galilee’ in next conflict with Israel

I posted this in the Breaking News Section as well Wink
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Off-Topic:
saw a documentary on the Assassination of Rarfik Hariri yesterday....

wow, didn't knew that they used a 1000kg explosive

the best and strongest leads and accusations were pointed directly towards Syria's president Assad

Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm

bump

protests in Lebanon are planned for tomorrow

#feb27

only arabic Wink
https://www.facebook.com/lebrevolution?sk=wall

Last edited by Lurker on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Let’s face it: Lebanon is way behind
As people in the Middle East get rid of their dictators and move on to form democratic and modern societies, the Lebanese can only look on and feel silly. March 14 is getting ready to take to the streets on March 14th as an opposition coalition, while March 8 politicians are forming a government and waiting for the upcoming Special Tribunal for Lebanon indictments.

Lebanon is caught outside the historical events that are reshaping the Middle East, and our sectarian “leaders” are at best in denial of what is going on around them, as if the dynamics changing the political map of the whole Middle East will not influence Lebanon. Indeed, political bickering over ministries and insignificant accusations dominate the Lebanese news.

Full:
http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=244609
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:49 am

Hundreds of people marched in Beirut on Sunday demanding an end to Lebanon's confessional system, mobilized by a call posted on Facebook, an AFP journalist reported.

"The revolution is everywhere... Lebanon, it's your turn," chanted demonstrators, most of them young people, in reference to the popular uprisings rattling regimes across the Arab world since January.

Police and soldiers guarded the building and some of the troops smiled as the protesters arrived while others took pictures of the demonstrators.

More than 2,600 Facebook users had signed up to participate in the rally but the wet weather seemed to have dissuaded a significant portion.

full
http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=245056
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down