Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

+8
Janey
Lurker
Aetius Romulous
Lime Flavoured
Strawberry
miabelieves
nivron
Joe Bese
12 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:41 am

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:48 am

Aetius Romulous wrote:In my opinion, the major difference between Egypt and Iran is that the United States is in a "cold war" with Iran, which it considers an enemy and an existential threat to Israel. This fact will always colour the Iranian leaderships response to anything - they feel surrounded, vulnerable, and under constant threat of attack.

It is understandable when viewed through this prism that Iran's response will be much different, and that the Wests response will in turn carry baggage and innuendo that will serve only to perpetuate the conflict. I have to admit, if I were giving advice to Iranian leadership it would be to maintain Iranian stability at any cost, or lose the war to the west.

If America could shed its hatred, disdain, and suspicion of Iran there would be a much greater chance of regime change there, but as it is, the external full court press the Iranians are constantly under requires them to behave differently.

I have long believed the best way to deal with the situation is to simply....

Give Iran "The Bomb"

Can't agree AR. I think the US (and Israel) would be much more likely to improve relations if the Tehran regime would quit yelling "Death to America" and Death to Israel" at every opportunity. I'm not likely to try to make friends with someone who's threatening to kill me.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 am

http://twitter.com/thebanklied

BreakingNews Iranian security forces fire tear gas to disperse opposition supporters, witnesses tell Reuters
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:59 am

I'm looking for videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=tehran+2011&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&suggested_categories=17%2C25

Some of these are being "removed by user" almost as fast as they're appearing.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetius Romulous Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am

Joe Bese wrote:
Aetius Romulous wrote:In my opinion, the major difference between Egypt and Iran is that the United States is in a "cold war" with Iran, which it considers an enemy and an existential threat to Israel. This fact will always colour the Iranian leaderships response to anything - they feel surrounded, vulnerable, and under constant threat of attack.

It is understandable when viewed through this prism that Iran's response will be much different, and that the Wests response will in turn carry baggage and innuendo that will serve only to perpetuate the conflict. I have to admit, if I were giving advice to Iranian leadership it would be to maintain Iranian stability at any cost, or lose the war to the west.

If America could shed its hatred, disdain, and suspicion of Iran there would be a much greater chance of regime change there, but as it is, the external full court press the Iranians are constantly under requires them to behave differently.

Give Iran "The Bomb"

Can't agree AR. I think the US (and Israel) would be much more likely to improve relations if the Tehran regime would quit yelling "Death to America" and Death to Israel" at every opportunity. I'm not likely to try to make friends with someone who's threatening to kill me.

Well, that's the nature of the cold war - each side takes its shot. It requires that someone stand down first.

Since we here in the west have no control over Iran, our best option is to have our side stand down. These comments coming from Iran are very recent - you have to take them with a grain of salt. In a war of words rhetoric is the weapon. The issues between Iran and the West go much further back, to the 1950's and beyond. That is the long view that is required before we can admit that mistrust and conflict is getting us - and the people of Iran - nothing.
Aetius Romulous
Aetius Romulous

http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 am

Security forces clash with demonstrators in Iran

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Security forces attacked demonstrators Monday who were protesting the regime of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, witnesses said.

Security forces in uniform and plain-clothed members of the pro-government Basij militia rushed toward crowds chanting "Death to the dictator!" at Imam Hossein Square, the planned starting point of a scheduled rally, a witness said. Several people were hit while the bulk were chased away, the witness said.

Clashes also erupted in front of Tehran University, where security forces dispersed crowds by firing tear gas and paint-ball guns, a witness said. Police detained several protesters, the witness said.

Full:
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/14/iran.protests/index.html
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 am

Aetius Romulous wrote:
Joe Bese wrote:

Give Iran "The Bomb"

Well, that's the nature of the cold war - each side takes its shot. It requires that someone stand down first.

Since we here in the west have no control over Iran, our best option is to have our side stand down. These comments coming from Iran are very recent - you have to take them with a grain of salt. In a war of words rhetoric is the weapon. The issues between Iran and the West go much further back, to the 1950's and beyond. That is the long view that is required before we can admit that mistrust and conflict is getting us - and the people of Iran - nothing.

I don't know, they've been saying "Death to America" since 1979, that didn't start recently. Even the "opposition" politicians don't repudiate it. People thought Hitler was speaking rhetorically too, and then were stunned when he did exactly what he had threatened to do.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 am

sorry was out for a hospital checkup, now back to the wires!

The latest I have is that there are at least 8 separate incidents in Iran right now and people are already saying this is the start of the Feb 14 revolution!

Currently anticipated to be about 30,000 protesters but growing. Confirmed that police are using teargas and batons in some areas!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 am

about 15,000 believed to be trying to take Azadi Square, Tehran and hold it in the same way we saw the square in Egypt, ironically both translate to Freedom Square
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 am

Janey wrote:sorry was out for a hospital checkup, now back to the wires!

The latest I have is that there are at least 8 separate incidents in Iran right now and people are already saying this is the start of the Feb 14 revolution!

Currently anticipated to be about 30,000 protesters but growing. Confirmed that police are using teargas and batons in some areas!

Thanks Janey! Hope things went well at your checkup.

There are some interesting vids coming out, but I don't speak Persian.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 am

Joe Bese wrote:

top half is great thanks, I just need an appointment now with Sock Shop to make sure the bottom half is ok Wink
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

Joe Bese wrote:

Between you and Butterfly Girls thread on LOP it seems that some of those Youtube vids are 2009 demos with current voice overs
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

They're tweeting faster than I can keep up. Here's a small sample:

25Bahman BBC: Reports of continued protests in Shiraz, Ahvaz, Isfahan, Kermanshah, Rasht, Tehran

geeksofdoom: RT @anncurry: 1000s protesting in IRAN, facing tear gas,batons shouting Mubarak and Khamenei face the same destiny #25Bahman

No More Islamic Republic, PPL are chanting Iranian Republic #iranelection #25Bahman

Protester shot and killed, 250 others detained http://bit.ly/hQSq8b #25Bahman #Iran #IranElection #no2ir
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 am

those are all confirmed now on the wires Joe!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 am

latest from the wires - rather than darkness bringing a reprieve - even more people are on the streets now

a lot of concern that the Iranian military will not support the protesters or be neutral, along with obvious regime support from the religious police and republican guards
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:43 am

Janey wrote:latest from the wires - rather than darkness bringing a reprieve - even more people are on the streets now

a lot of concern that the Iranian military will not support the protesters or be neutral, along with obvious regime support from the religious police and republican guards

Yeah, this will be their real problem, they're on their own. The military will NOT be neutral or protective.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 am

US State Dept now using twitter to encourage demonstrations, democracy and free speech in Iran - AFP
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 am

Morning/Afternoon all,

General question for everyone...any chance these demonstrations will have the same effect as in Egypt or is the regime in Iran much better prepared to deal with this "forcefully" should they feel the need to?
Godzilla85
Godzilla85

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 am

I didn't know Mr. Gul was visiting. Wonder if that will inspire the authorities to show some restraint?

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Iranian-Police-Fire-Teargas-at-Protesters-116159324.html

Turkish President Abdullah Gul, on a visit to Tehran, called on Middle Eastern governments to listen to the demands of their people, although he did not mention Iran directly.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 am

Godzilla85 wrote:Morning/Afternoon all,

General question for everyone...any chance these demonstrations will have the same effect as in Egypt or is the regime in Iran much better prepared to deal with this "forcefully" should they feel the need to?

it is possible for people power to prevail, but it will be much harder and potentially considerably more bloody than Egypt. That is because all of the security forces are very loyal to the regime.
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 am

Godzilla85 wrote:Morning/Afternoon all,

I don't think the authorities will hesitate to use as much force as they need to, but that's just my guess. The Regime does have quite a bit of popular support, and is not nearly as fragile as Egypt or Tunisia, IMO.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am

some protesters now making makeshift barricades, basij secret police out in force and using force!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am

In related news...

Iran court to target 'media crimes,' spurring fears of fresh crackdown

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/13/iran.media.crimes/?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Iranian officials said Sunday that the Middle Eastern nation will create a court focusing on "media crimes," according to state-run media reports, a move that has fueled fears Tehran is further intensifying its crackdown on journalists.

Abbas Zagholi, the head of Iran's Government Employees Court, said the new judicial branch "was necessitated by the special media crimes," according to a report in Khabar, a conservative publication run by backers of parliamentary Speaker and Tehran Mayor Ali Larijani.

"For certain reasons, such as great developments in mass media, the Tehran prosecutor felt the need to create a more independent court to deal with media affairs," Zagholi said.

Memarian said that, in the present system, journalists cannot publicize any information -- especially if it could be construed as critical -- unless it is from a government source or ran on a state-sponsored media outlet first. He himself was editor of a publication in Iran from 2003 through 2005, the same year that he won Human Rights Watch's Human Rights Defender Award.

"You cannot criticize government policies ... If somebody says something inappropriate, you cannot report that," said Memarian, whose work has appeared on the website Huffington Post, in the Los Angeles Times and elsewhere. "The government has an official narrative (and) no one can challenge that."

So much for a free press.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 am

Iranian police have fired tear gas at opposition supporters participating in a rally in the centre of the capital, Tehran, called in solidarity with the popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

A BBC producer, who was affected by the gas, said there had been severe clashes and described a scene of "total chaos".

There were also reports of protests in the cities of Isfahan and Shiraz.

Earlier, the police placed opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi under house arrest, according to his website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12447225
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next