Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

+8
Janey
Lurker
Aetius Romulous
Lime Flavoured
Strawberry
miabelieves
nivron
Joe Bese
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 am

statement from a protester - there are not enough prison cells in Iran to hold all those who wish for change
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 am

this from twitter, there are now plans for a march every day in Tehran at 3PM
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:39 am

Janey wrote:Iran MP's call for the Death Penalty for Pro-Democracy Group Leaders

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranian lawmakers urged judiciary on Tuesday to hand out death penalties to opposition leaders for fomenting unrest in the Islamic state after a rally in which one person was killed and dozens were wounded, state media said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE71E1N620110215

No fundamentalist like an Islamic fundamentalist.

Good morning all.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetius Romulous Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 am

I just think this will end badly. Iran is not Egypt.

I really feel for these young Iranians who are riding a wave that is no where near ready to crest in Iran. The state is too strong and stable, and the general population is not behind the protests as they were in Egypt and might be elsewhere. I am wary of supporting them fully when there is every reason to believe the effort will be both bloody and futile.

But of course, they won't go away and these protesters will learn a few lessons and build for the future. The very worst thing that could happen now would be for the Americans to throw their visible support behind them and have the Regime use that as an excuse to permanently disable the movement in typical, ruthless fashion. Their time will come but for now I fear, it is best to make a show, keep the powder dry, and retreat into the shadows for a better time.

It would be so very cool if I were completely wrong about this.
Aetius Romulous
Aetius Romulous

http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 am

Aetius Romulous wrote:I just think this will end badly. Iran is not Egypt.

I really feel for these young Iranians who are riding a wave that is no where near ready to crest in Iran. The state is too strong and stable, and the general population is not behind the protests as they were in Egypt and might be elsewhere. I am wary of supporting them fully when there is every reason to believe the effort will be both bloody and futile.

But of course, they won't go away and these protesters will learn a few lessons and build for the future. The very worst thing that could happen now would be for the Americans to throw their visible support behind them and have the Regime use that as an excuse to permanently disable the movement in typical, ruthless fashion. Their time will come but for now I fear, it is best to make a show, keep the powder dry, and retreat into the shadows for a better time.

It would be so very cool if I were completely wrong about this.

I think you're right about the long term, anyway. We will have to wait for some old men to die, and for some corrupt ones to anger the masses before we see any significant change.

To be honest, yesterday's demonstrations were obviously much bigger than I thought they would be. When I saw the first announcement last week I guessed they would gather a few hundred people and that would be that.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 am

Deaths reported in Iran protest

A Iranian official confirms two deaths during Monday's clashes but police blame an outlawed group for them.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/20112158387191255.html

Two people were killed at a banned opposition rally in Iran, a member of parliament has told the
Iranian Student's News Agency.

"At Monday's rally ... two people were martyred and many were wounded; one person was shot dead," said Kazem Jalali.

It's unlcear how the second protester died.

So far, Iranian police have confirmed that one person was killed during clashes and blamed an outlawed group for shooting into the crowd.

"One person was martyred by Monafeghin [the People's Mujahedeen of Iran - PMOI] in the shooting at yesterday's events," said Ahmad Reza Radan, deputy police chief of Iran on Tuesday, adding nine security forces were injured.

Earlier, the semi-official Fars news agency reported that a bystander had been shot dead and several wounded by protesters.

But the National Council of Resistance of Iran, which includes the PMOI, denied the allegations on Tuesday, saying "those in power crushed the demonstrators, firing live rounds and tear gas at them".

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 am

More than 200 members of Iran's parliament have issued a statement condemning the anti-government demonstrations held on Monday by supporters of the opposition Green Movement.

-BBC
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 am

I have a bad feeling about Iran. This psychopath over there will be even more brutal than the Regime here, he's already calling out the death penalty for any opposition. That means everybody who will get arrested, will get killed. I'm also not convinced about the army. Here at least we had faith that they would protect the people, Iran though, I think they'd have no problem with killing the protesters.
Sad I hope they are able to pull through somehow.

Does anybody think if the Regime starts to kill the people in the 100's or 1000's, would the US intervene? Or maybe Israel? They're on standby anyhow because of the nuclear threat.
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 am

Babsi wrote:Does anybody think if the Regime starts to kill the people in the 100's or 1000's, would the US intervene? Or maybe Israel? They're on standby anyhow because of the nuclear threat.

I can't imagine the US doing anything. Any real intervention would be an act of war, and I don't believe we're ready to do that for the Iranian people, no matter how much we might hope for regime change.

I don't see Israel doing much either, both countries have their hands full, IMO.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetius Romulous Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 am

Babsi wrote:I have a bad feeling about Iran. This psychopath over there will be even more brutal than the Regime here, he's already calling out the death penalty for any opposition. That means everybody who will get arrested, will get killed. I'm also not convinced about the army. Here at least we had faith that they would protect the people, Iran though, I think they'd have no problem with killing the protesters.
Sad I hope they are able to pull through somehow.

Does anybody think if the Regime starts to kill the people in the 100's or 1000's, would the US intervene? Or maybe Israel? They're on standby anyhow because of the nuclear threat.

I guess the worst case scenario for everybody would be one where many are gunned down in front of cameras, YouTube. and Facebook, and the US does absolutely nothing. They would then lose any credibility they have left, and call into question their power to shape the Middle East - or anywhere else. A complete catastrophe for the poor protesters, the protest movement, and the US empire.

What can the Americans do? Nothing. Nada. They should fervently wish the protesters all go peacefully home more than the Iranian regime does, because in a nightmare, crackdown scenario, the US has a lot more to lose than Iran.

It is this point exactly that has me most worried as it has the most far reaching and unpredictable effects.
Aetius Romulous
Aetius Romulous

http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 am

There seems to be a lot more news coming out of Iran today

Silent Revolt in Bahrain
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165390.html

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165320.html
'Saudi Arabia sending troops to Bahrain'

http://www.presstv.ir/section/3510201.html
Iran, Greece call for enhanced ties

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165434.html
Sanctions have had no impact

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165431.html
Obama wants to see more Iran protests

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/165450.html
Live rounds used on Bahrain protesters

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:25 am

that is the thing, we will give tacit support to democracy protests through statements but there is not a western country that would overtly intervene right now. These people are very much alone
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Iranian Anti-government Demonstration Rolling Updates Thread - Page 4 Empty Iranian Protests

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 am

Day 3

8.31am - Bahrain:

Protesters are holding their ground at the Pearl roundabout, AP reports.

Security forces have pulled back sharply apparently on orders to ease tensions after clashes that left at least two people dead and dozens injured.

Police helicopters, however, flew low over a major funeral procession for one of the victims in which mourners called him a "martyr" and pledged more protests in the island nation home to the US Navy's 5th Fleet.

Thousands of people spent the night in a makeshift tent camp in Manama's Pearl Square, which was swarmed by demonstrators a day earlier. One demonstrator used a bullhorn to call on protesters to remain until their demands are met, as the Arab wave for change takes hold in the Gulf.

The protests began Monday as a cry for the country's Sunni monarchy to loosen its grip, including hand-picking most top government posts, and open more opportunities for the country's Shia majority, who have long complained of being blocked from decision-making roles.

US State Department spokesman, PJ Crowley, has express concern about events in Bahrain.

In a statement last night, he said:

The United States is very concerned by recent violence surrounding protests in Bahrain. We have received confirmation that two protesters in Bahrain were recently killed, and offer our condolences to the families and friends of the two individuals who lost their lives.

The United States welcomes the Government of Bahrain's statements that it will investigate these deaths, and that it will take legal action against any unjustified use of force by Bahraini security forces. We urge that it follow through on these statements as quickly as possible. We also call on all parties to exercise restraint and refrain from violence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/feb/16/middle-east-protests-live-updates#block-3

Mobile phone footage of the protests at the Pearl roundabout is being streamed to the video sharing site Bambuser
http://bambuser.com/channel/margadoosh/broadcast/1420183

Last edited by Strawberry on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 am

8.47am - Iran:

It is getting hard to keep track of the various protests across the Middle East. Now Iran's state broadcaster IRIB is reporting clashes between government supporters and protesters in Tehran.

"Students and the people attending the funeral ceremony of the martyred student Sanee Zhaleh have clashed with a limited number of people apparently linked to the sedition movement and forced them out by chanting slogans of death to hypocrites," it said, according to Reuters.

Zhaleh was shot dead during an opposition rally on Monday, a killing the government blamed on anti-government protesters but which opposition websites say was done by security forces.

Activist Saeed Valadbaygi is running a Facebook commentary on the latest unrest. One of his updates says:

University doors have been closed and chants of "down with Khatami and Down with England" is seen around Valiasr.

Another says:

A largely organized group of Basij is being transferred to the funeral place through the BRT line.

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:56 am

latest: fresh clashes reported in Tehran after anger boils over at the funeral of a killed protesters
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 am

and here's an article about that:

Violence erupted on the streets of Tehran today during the funeral of a student who was shot dead during an antigovernment protest on February 14.

Witnesses told RFE/RL's Radio Farda that supporters of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's regime interrupted a funeral march for the student, a Sunni Kurd named Sanee Zhaleh.

They say many members of Iran's volunteer Basij Resistance Force arrived at Tehran University just as the funeral procession was beginning.

Full:
http://www.rferl.org/content/iran_protests_clashes_funeral_opposition_leaders_death/2311169.html
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Iran opposition leader ready to 'pay any price'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/16/AR2011021601914.html

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's opposition leaders remained defiant Wednesday despite calls from hard-liners for them to be brought to trial and put to death, with one reform advocate saying he was willing to "pay any price" in pursuit of democratic change...

Karroubi urged Iran's Islamic ruling system to learn from the fate of governments that remained aloof from their people, alluding to the toppling of autocratic leaders in Tunisia and Egypt.

"We warn (the ruling system) that before it is too late, stop being stubborn and hear the voice of the people," he said in remarks posted on his website, sahamnews.org. "Exercising violence and opposing peoples' wishes can last for a limited time. Take a lesson from the fate of governments that distanced themselves from the people."

State TV on Wednesday called Mousavi and Karroubi mercenaries carrying out a plot designed by Iran's enemies and urged government supporters to rally on Friday.

The two sides even differed over the identity of one of those killed in Monday's clashes - Sane Jaleh, a 26-year-old student at Tehran's University of Art.

State television said he was a government supporter and a member of the paramilitary force known as the Basij, which has been instrumental in putting down opposition protests.

Mousavi's website said Jaleh was a member of Mousavi's election campaign team. Seeking to prove it, the website published a photo of Jaleh standing next to the late Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri, Iran's most senior dissident cleric, who died in December 2009.

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Iran regime calls for 'hatred' rally against opposition

http://politics.inquirer.net/politics/view/20110217-320727/Iran-regime-calls-for-hatred-rally-against-opposition

TEHRAN—Iran's regime said it called a rally in Tehran for Friday to express hatred against the opposition movement, as its two key leaders launched fresh anti-government tirades despite demands they be hanged.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:02 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I really feel for the people in Iran...they've got 1000 times worse than the egyptians had it. They downright ordered the execution of all opposition leaders and they're much more brutal...also they don't have the media coverage we had here. I wish these people strength and determination to see it through.
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Crowds call for death of Iran opposition leaders

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110218/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran

TEHRAN, Iran – Thousands of Iranian government supporters called for the execution of opposition leaders at a prayer service Friday in response to anti-government demonstrations earlier in the week. Authorities, meanwhile, appeared to tighten restrictions on one of the leaders under house arrest.

Hard-line cleric Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati said during the service in Tehran that the opposition leaders have lost their reputation among people and are practically "dead and executed," while worshippers chanted for their actual executions.

Jannati proposed more restrictions on Mir Hossein Mousavi on Mahdi Karroubi, who are both under house arrest but still managed to organize the largest opposition protest in more than a year on Monday.

"Their communications with people should be completely cut. They should not be able to receive and send messages. Their phone lines and Internet should be cut. They should be prisoners in their homes," he said.

No

Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:50 am

Can anyone confirm reports of VPN communications down in Iran? #IranElection

I truly believe the #resistance for the #iranelection movement in #Iran must come from the #Kurd mountains of #Kurdistan. Not #Teheran.

Breaking Iran News AFP - Iran has hanged six men convicted of drug trafficking, four in the ... http://bit.ly/hwwZhl #iran #iranelection

4 more executions in Kerman prison under so called drugs conviction http://bit.ly/eobZvM #Iranelection

Breaking Iran News AFP - Iran has hanged six men convicted of drug trafficking, four in the ... http://bit.ly/hwwZhl #iran #iranelection

Tomorrow 20 Feb. Next mission to Free Iran from Khamenei and His barbaric regime #iranelection #iran #tehran

It seems something is happening in #Iran . All the VPN connections are down once more. #IranElection

Call for Demonstration on Sunday #Feb20 #1Esfand (fa) http://bit.ly/gkVdnV #Iran #IranElection

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next