Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RTE reporting a plane crash with fatalities at Cork Airport

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RTE reporting a plane crash with fatalities at Cork Airport - Page 2 Empty Re: RTE reporting a plane crash with fatalities at Cork Airport

Post by Chiral Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:44 am

unfortunate that this happens then, I was wondering with the airport in Florida and recent goofyness with GPS and global magnetics in general whether, even if the equipment was all in proper working order, whether the readings could have been incorrect.

though I suppose a total lack of visibility is bad enough.

at least a few survived.
Chiral
Chiral

Back to top Go down

RTE reporting a plane crash with fatalities at Cork Airport - Page 2 Empty Re: RTE reporting a plane crash with fatalities at Cork Airport

Post by Janey Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 am

Chiral wrote:unfortunate that this happens then, I was wondering with the airport in Florida and recent goofyness with GPS and global magnetics in general whether, even if the equipment was all in proper working order, whether the readings could have been incorrect.

though I suppose a total lack of visibility is bad enough.

at least a few survived.

what happened in Florida with GPS? I know an airport had its runways renumbered due to magnetic shift, but every airport in the world does that as a matter of routine every few years. As a matter of interest the magnetic headings at Heathrow to the runways have shifted by nearly 30 degrees since the airport opened.

Many airports shift their magnetic headings by around 5 degrees a year or more. This is no big deal to pilots though as runway charts are constantly updated to reflect this. Manchester in the UK recently had to renumber its runways because of magnetic shift also.
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 am

in fact, even if the GPS signal fails or is in error the navigation hardware will direct you to the runway as the IRS equipment would override the GPS errors. The IRS uses gyroscopes and requires no outside source of reference once aligned.

It is a requirement on airliners to have this backup to still be able to fly without GPS. In fact, many Boeing airliners still flying are not even equipped with GPS
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiral Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:36 am

GPS off the coast of florida was (and still is?) being intermittently shut down for about a month because of some alleged "testing".

However, this is also when the GPS satellites were forecast to begin failing, as they are reaching the end of their lifespans and there hasn't been money in the budget to replace/update them for some time.

I was wondering if there might be a connection, a perfect storm of sorts.

But it appears that this was a weather-induced event and I'm grasping at straws.
Chiral
Chiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 am

Chiral wrote:GPS off the coast of florida was (and still is?) being intermittently shut down for about a month because of some alleged "testing".

However, this is also when the GPS satellites were forecast to begin failing, as they are reaching the end of their lifespans and there hasn't been money in the budget to replace/update them for some time.

I was wondering if there might be a connection, a perfect storm of sorts.

But it appears that this was a weather-induced event and I'm grasping at straws.

interesting though to hear of the GPS failures in Florida. This is the very reason why airliners must not use GPS as the primary navigation source
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 am

press conference now taking place at the airport
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2