Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb

+33
Anka
IsisAurelia
Beast
nicdeedoop
Godzilla85
caliigirl
Dead Revolutionary
LewNi
Alaskan Girl
Aetius Romulous
Joe Bese
cbfunk
MissHidalgo
He who Seeks Truth
Jeremiah
butterfly girl
Mimi
Mother Mary
Babsi
Earth Cries
ZX12R
FoolOnTheHill
4EVAFREEisME
Limpan
Lurker
Canuck36
snark
Janey
cab123
Strawberry
BelgianBoy
Ubetcha
LLL
37 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb - Page 2 Empty Re: Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 am

Al-Qaeda in Iraq calls on Egyptian protestors to wage jihad

Al-Qaeda-front group The Islamic State of Iraq has called on Egyptian protestors to wage jihad and push for the establishment of a government based on Islamic law, the US-based SITE monitoring service said Tuesday.

The statement, which appears to be the first reaction of any group affiliated with Al-Qaeda to the ongoing protests in Egypt, was issued on jihadist forums on February 8, according to the US group.

The message, addressed to the protestors, says that the "market of jihad" has opened in Egypt and "the doors of martyrdom have opened," and every able-bodied man must participate.

The group urged Egyptians to ignore the "ignorant deceiving ways" of secularism, democracy, and "rotten pagan nationalism."

http://nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=238731
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb - Page 2 Empty Re: Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 am

Strawberry wrote:Hope youre OK now Snark and youre taking it easy

Egypt Rolling Updates Wednesday 09 Feb - Page 2 5531
Thanks Miz Berry- y'all kept my mind occupied well yesterday and earlier this morning! Staying in bed all day and night is for the birds!!
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:22 am

12:08pm In footage posted on YouTube, Egyptian pop star and actor Tamer Hosni breaks down in tears and apologises for not throwing his full support behind the pro-democracy protesters from the start.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/08/live-blog-feb-9-egypt-protests
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 am

Good morning all
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 am

Strawberry wrote:Al-Qaeda in Iraq calls on Egyptian protestors to wage jihad

Al-Qaeda-front group The Islamic State of Iraq has called on Egyptian protestors to wage jihad and push for the establishment of a government based on Islamic law, the US-based SITE monitoring service said Tuesday.

The statement, which appears to be the first reaction of any group affiliated with Al-Qaeda to the ongoing protests in Egypt, was issued on jihadist forums on February 8, according to the US group.

The message, addressed to the protestors, says that the "market of jihad" has opened in Egypt and "the doors of martyrdom have opened," and every able-bodied man must participate.

The group urged Egyptians to ignore the "ignorant deceiving ways" of secularism, democracy, and "rotten pagan nationalism."

you know this was only a matter of time before they said something. My only surprise is why this didnt happen sooner. I think Muh and I were wondering about this over a week ago now. If they seen an opening they take it. I think the good news is that their power base in Egypt is very weak, but they should still be watched
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 am

Strawberry wrote:12:08pm In footage posted on YouTube, Egyptian pop star and actor Tamer Hosni breaks down in tears and apologises for not throwing his full support behind the pro-democracy protesters from the start.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/08/live-blog-feb-9-egypt-protests

I saw that- boy that guy made the wrong call!! Shows that celebs everywhere can be just as out of touch! What did he think would happen when he got onstage and supported Hosni?!?!
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 am

Ubetcha wrote:Good morning all

How are you this morning Ubetcha ?

flower
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 am

Morning Ubetcha Smile
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:26 am

snark wrote:
Strawberry wrote:12:08pm In footage posted on YouTube, Egyptian pop star and actor Tamer Hosni breaks down in tears and apologises for not throwing his full support behind the pro-democracy protesters from the start.

I saw that- boy that guy made the wrong call!! Shows that celebs everywhere can be just as out of touch! What did he think would happen when he got onstage and supported Hosni?!?!

He is probably full of himself and thought of himself rather than his country.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 am

Strawberry wrote:

flower

Waking up how bout you?
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:29 am

Janey wrote:

you know this was only a matter of time before they said something. My only surprise is why this didnt happen sooner. I think Muh and I were wondering about this over a week ago now. If they seen an opening they take it. I think the good news is that their power base in Egypt is very weak, but they should still be watched

There's a lot of people say that if Egypt people fail in the revolution then AQ will have lots of new recruits
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 am

Ubetcha wrote:
Strawberry wrote:

flower

Waking up how bout you?

Im just waiting for my lurvely bf to serve me eggs Bow Bow
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 am

Strawberry wrote:
Janey wrote:

There's a lot of people say that if Egypt people fail in the revolution then AQ will have lots of new recruits

I agree that if the people fail there will be much more opportunity for bad actors. The longer this "limbo" continues, the greater the chance. I think the Egyptian people have made it clear that they do not want a theocracy...but keeping those who would exploit them at bay until September is going to be tricky.
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:33 am

1015 GMT: Soha al-Naqqash, a presenter at state-run Nile TV, has resigned over the channel's coverage.

Al-Naqqash said she tried to convince her bosses to change the coverage to reflect what was actually happening, but she was rebuffed: “They used to say ‘these are the instructions’. I decided to resign so as not to get involved in what’s unprofessional."

http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2011/2/9/egypt-and-beyond-liveblog-surge.html
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 am

just going through my emails and have been told that industrial unrest is spreading. I will email back and ask for more detail
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 am

While people were being shot dead by police on streets packed with protesters calling for Mubarak's resignation, state-run TV presenter Soha al-Naqqash was asserting that calmness prevailed.

Al-Naqqash, a longtime employee of Egypt's Nile News channel, submitted her resignation over state TV's coverage of the uprising.

Al-Naqqash told Al-Masry Al-Youm Wednesday that she had tried to convince her bosses to change the coverage to reflect what was actually happening, but she was rebuffed.

“They used to say ‘these are the instructions’. I decided to resign so as not to get involved in what’s unprofessional," she said.

"My resignation doesn’t represent a political stance but a professional one. Denying what is happening has disappeared from the world’s media but not from Egyptian state TV,” she added.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/state-tv-presenter-resigns-over-media-coverage
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 am

On AJ Iraq people calling the government on corruption.
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:37 am

Janey wrote:just going through my emails and have been told that industrial unrest is spreading. I will email back and ask for more detail

that would be great JediJaney

It seems that it is all walks of people that are protesting not just the poor
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:37 am

Calling for mass demonstrations in Iraq
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:37 am

Middle East peace process 'at threat' from Egypt turmoil

The peace process in the Middle East is under serious threat as a result of the political instability in Egypt, William Hague has claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8312848/Middle-East-peace-process-at-threat-from-Egypt-turmoil.html
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 am

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 am

Interesting (lighter) read from a NY Times photojournalist on "what not to bring to tahrir square".
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/what-not-to-bring-to-tahrir-square/?src=tptw
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 am

back shortly everyone. I have to go wait for my 10.50 supermarket delivery to the house. I have to wait by the door. Otherwise they knock, think no-one is home and leave before I even get myself across the house! Feel free to call me a slowcoach Smile
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Canuck36 Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 am

Morning Janey and everyone! Anyone have any news on what the Kearsarge Expeditionary Strike Group is currently doing?
Canuck36
Canuck36

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 am

Canuck36 wrote:Morning Janey and everyone! Anyone have any news on what the Kearsarge Expeditionary Strike Group is currently doing?

I'm mostly seeing re-tweets of the debka story from yesterday but I'll hunt around...perhaps Janey has some info on the wires...
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next