Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wisconsin Protests

+3
Alaskan Girl
Joe Bese
LewNi
7 posters

Go down

Wisconsin Protests Empty Wisconsin Protests

Post by LewNi Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Thats right, Wisconsin USA.

Apparently the Governor of WI is trying to pass a bill that would eliminate collective bargaining rights in an effort to cut the states deficit.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/17/wisconsin.budget/index.html?iref=allsearch
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Wisconsin Protests Empty Re: Wisconsin Protests

Post by LewNi Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:32 pm

I also just heard on CNN that the the Democrats for WI did not show up for roll call today. I am not sure who exactly they had on the phone as I just kinda listen to it in the background. The first person they had on said that the Dems did not show up and that he did not know where they were.
The second call said that they are in a "secure location".
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

(AP:MADISON, Wis.) Authorities say an estimated 25,000 people are protesting anti-union legislation at the Wisconsin state Capitol, and nine demonstrators have been arrested.

On the third day of protests, the Statehouse was completely jammed with protesters opposed to a bill that would strip public employees of their collective bargaining rights. The crowd filled the building's hallways, sat cross-legged across the floor and chanted slogans.

For the moment, a group of Democratic senators have blocked the bill by refusing to attend a midday vote and leaving the Capitol. The sergeant at arms was looking for them.

One member of the group told The Associated Press that they had all left Wisconsin in an effort to force Republicans to negotiate.

Republicans hold a 19-14 majority, but they need at least one Democrat to be present before voting.

http://news.ino.com/headlines/?newsid=6897669797579790
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 am

Turn your speakers down. You Americans are a noisy bunch lol!

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 am

Straw, you are a funny girl!
I especially like the guys in the capital banging drums and singing songs.

I am still not quite sure how to take this. Protests and marches are not an uncommon thing here in America, what kinda scares me is that this involves the unions. They are quite large in number and always stand behind one another to show support. There are also large outspoken groups, who have now showed up in WI, that are anti union.
There are are a large number of states that are trying to cut their spending and even facing bankruptcy. I am not sure what that means if it where to happen but it does worry me. Especially since it seems that the first thing most politicians cut are our teachers.
Whether I like what the WI Governor is doing or not he does say that he is doing so because he does not want to start firing people.
Having followed Egypt since the start of the protests I do not particularly like the situation in WI being compared to it. I must say though that I am sure the rest of the country is waiting to see what happens there.
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 am

A lot of states are in the same situation, and struggling to get a handle on it. I predict that the WI governor will back down, and be forced to find another solution.

Has anyone seen the missing democrats today?
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am

I am not sure where they are today, but I had earlier that they had left the state to ensure that the bill could not be voted on. Apparently there are 19 Republicans and 14 Democrats and they need 20 in order to vote. I am not too big into politics so I am not sure how that all works out but that is what they reported this morning (how much trust you can put on those numbers is another story)
LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Joe Bese wrote:

They are hiding out in a luxury resort at taxpayer expense.

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/WI_Dems_Escape_to_Clocktower_Resort_116437034.html?ref=034
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 pm

LewNi wrote:Having followed Egypt since the start of the protests I do not particularly like the situation in WI being compared to it there.

Many of the Egyptians who were protesting live on less than $2.00 per day ( approximately $730.00 per year)

The average metropolitan district of Wisconsin teacher, on the other hand, recieves yearly compensation of over $100,000.00 (approximately $56,500.00 in salary, and $43,500.00 in benefits).

No comparison. None.

The original link the McIver Institute website which published this information has become overloaded or subjected to attack today, and does not load, but here is a website which links to it and provides quotations from it, and reveals other figures about teacher income:

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/02/17/watch-wisconsin-part-iv-the-salary-info-big-labor-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

Wisconsin is not Cairo.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Wisconsin's legislation, for example, not only would eliminate collective bargaining rights but also force public workers to pay half the costs of their pensions and at least 12.6 percent of their health care coverage - increases the governor calls "modest" compared with those in the private sector.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/18/2664463/republicans-challenging-unions.html#ixzz1ELoxco6t

Labor plans to spend large amounts of money on battles in Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Missouri, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Unions see their goal as not just playing defense - as opponents chip away at bargaining rights - but going on offense to try to educate the public about the role of unions.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/18/2664463/republicans-challenging-unions.html#ixzz1ELoZRpPi

I wonder if this will lead to the mysterious disappearance of Democrats all across the country?
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomFinch Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:19 pm

goodmockingbird wrote:
Joe Bese wrote:

They are hiding out in a luxury resort at taxpayer expense.

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/WI_Dems_Escape_to_Clocktower_Resort_116437034.html?ref=034

Actually it's kind of a craphole...I've been there...but it probably IS at taxpayer expense.
DoomFinch
DoomFinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 am

Competing Wisconsin protests draw thousands

(Reuters) - Supporters of legislation to reduce public employee union bargaining power and benefits in Wisconsin were far outnumbered by opponents on Saturday, as the two sides shouted competing slogans but did not clash.

Tens of thousands have demonstrated this week against Republican Governor Scott Walker's proposed legislation, which supporters say is needed to control spending and opponents contend would break the back of state worker unions.

Wisconsin is the flashpoint for a U.S. struggle over efforts to roll back pay, benefits and bargaining rights of government workers. If the majority Republicans prevail, other states could be emboldened to take on the powerful unions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/20/us-wisconsin-protests-idUSTRE71H3UZ20110220
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomFinch Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 am

Not a fan of what unions have become, but they are one of the few remaining bulwarks on our way down to neo-feudalism. Destroy the ability for collective bargaining and America becomes the land of sweatshops...which will ultimately destroy much of the profits of the people at the economic apex...true economic wealth and productivity come from the bottom and filter up...but I don't think the people on the top of the pyramid are looking at the long term picture at the moment. They are probably just trying to get whatever they can while the getting's good.
DoomFinch
DoomFinch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Billy Bragg - There is power in a union:

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 am

Koch Brothers’ Money Plays Role in Wisconsin Dispute

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/us/22koch.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha24

WASHINGTON — Among the thousands of demonstrators who jammed the Wisconsin State Capitol grounds this weekend was a well-financed advocate from Washington who was there to voice praise for cutting state spending by slashing union benefits and bargaining rights.

The visitor, Tim Phillips, the president of Americans for Prosperity, told a large group of counterprotesters who had gathered Saturday at one edge of what otherwise was a mostly union crowd that the cuts were not only necessary, but they also represented the start of a much-needed nationwide move to slash public-sector union benefits.

“We are going to bring fiscal sanity back to this great nation,” he said.

What Mr. Phillips did not mention was that his Virginia-based nonprofit group, whose budget surged to $40 million in 2010 from $7 million three years ago, was created and financed in part by the secretive billionaire brothers Charles G. and David H. Koch.

State records also show that Koch Industries, their energy and consumer products conglomerate based in Wichita, Kan., was one of the biggest contributors to the election campaign of Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, a Republican who has championed the proposed cuts.

Even before the new governor was sworn in last month, executives from the Koch-backed group had worked behind the scenes to try to encourage a union showdown, Mr. Phillips said in an interview on Monday.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

State senators who miss two or more session days will no longer get paid through direct deposit. They'll have to pick up their checks in person on the Senate floor during a session.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1985876.shtml?cat=1
Alaskan Girl
Alaskan Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Wis. GOP Senate leader's wife gets layoff notice

(AP:HUSTISFORD, Wis.) The wife of the Wisconsin Senate majority leader is among school staff receiving preliminary layoff notices.

Lisa Fitzgerald is a counselor in the Hustisford school district and is married to Republican Senator Scott Fitzgerald.

http://news.ino.com/headlines/?newsid=689767466676710
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 am

Wisconsin Assembly Passes Anti-Union Bill

MADISON, Wis. -- The Wisconsin Assembly early Friday passed a bill that would strip most public workers of their collective bargaining rights -- the first significant action on the new Republican governor's plan.

The vote put an end to three straight days of punishing debate, but the political standoff over the bill is far from over. The measure now goes to the Senate, where minority Democrats have been missing for a week, preventing a vote in that chamber.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/25/wisconsin-assembly-passes-anti-union/
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 am

Well, we'll see how long the state senators are willing to go without pay lol

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:59 am

Lime Flavoured wrote:Well, we'll see how long the state senators are willing to go without pay lol

Few of them need the pay, it's a part-time job.
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Post by LewNi Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am

LewNi
LewNi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down