Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths

+8
Alaskan Girl
northerntomcat
Tangy
Rickster58
DoomFinch
Strawberry
caliigirl
nicdeedoop
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths Empty 6.2 New Zealand

Post by nicdeedoop Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Described as very violent

RT @leohanssen Our city has just been devastated with an earthquake bigger than the September one Carnage everywhere. Please pray//NZ
nicdeedoop
nicdeedoop

Back to top Go down

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths Empty Re: Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths

Post by nicdeedoop Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

nicdeedoop
nicdeedoop

Back to top Go down

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths Empty 6.3 In Christchurch NZ

Post by caliigirl Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A strong 6.3-magnitude earthquake rocked the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch on Tuesday, and there were reports of damage to some buildings.

Radio New Zealand reported that a church near the city center collapsed. The station also said staffers in its Christchurch newsroom had to cling to their desks during the shaking, with large filing cabinets toppling over.

"What I can see from where I am in the central city is that there are significant amounts of additional damage," Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the temblor was centered 3 miles (5 kilometers) from the city at a depth of 2.5 miles (4 kilometers).

Christchurch has been hit by hundreds of aftershocks since a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Sept. 4 last year, causing extensive damage and a handful of injuries, but no deaths.

caliigirl
caliigirl

Back to top Go down

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths Empty Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 pm

A strong 6.3-magnitude earthquake has struck the city of Christchurch on New Zealand's South Island, seriously injuring people and damaging buildings throughout the city.

Video footage showed damaged buildings throughout the city centre, with bricks and shattered concrete strewn across the pavement. Hundreds of dazed, screaming and crying residents wandered through the streets as sirens blared throughout the city.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said he was on the top floor of the city council building when the quake hit, throwing him across the room.

"I got down onto the street and there were scenes of great confusion, a lot of very upset people," he said. "I know of people in our building who are injured and I've had some reports of serious injuries throughout the city."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/22/earthquake-christchurch-new-zealand

Last edited by Strawberry on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths Empty Re: Earthquake 6.3 - hits Christchurch causing serious injury and deaths

Post by DoomFinch Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:19 pm

DoomFinch
DoomFinch

Back to top Go down

Post by nicdeedoop Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Looks horrible! I am afraid there will be many casualties
nicdeedoop
nicdeedoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Strawberry,

I'm watching live tv now on this earthquake. The damage is terrible and severe loss of life is expected. Some of the live pictures are shocking.

Rickster
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Rickster58 wrote:Hi Strawberry,

I'm watching live tv now on this earthquake. The damage is terrible and severe loss of life is expected. Some of the live pictures are shocking.

Rickster

OMG Rickster Sad

I was talking with people who live in CC on GLP just after they had their first one and I remember how worried they were that they were going to have a big one. I hope they are OK.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708003

Emergency Cabinet meeting is called

Reports of severe aftershocks
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10707996

There have been "multiple fatalities" after a shallow 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch this afternoon caused buildings to collapse, police have confirmed.

Police said fatalities had been reported at several locations and that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings.

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:24 pm

The devastation they are showing on tv is incredible. Shopping centres collapsed, massive liquifaction everywhere ....the city centre is the worst hit area. Most roads in the city are buckled, people injured everywhere. It looks like a massive bomb has gone off. People are deeply shocked and scared and aftershocks are happening regularly which is hampering rescue efforts.

There are now reports of large fires breaking out

Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Rickster58 wrote:The devastation they are showing on tv is incredible. Shopping centres collapsed, massive liquifaction everywhere ....the city centre is the worst hit area. Most roads in the city are buckled, people injured everywhere. It looks like a massive bomb has gone off. People are deeply shocked and scared and aftershocks are happening regularly which is hampering rescue efforts.

There are now reports of large fires breaking out

Rickster has there been a tsunami alert?

Thanks for the updates
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/8339819/Christchurch-devastated-by-major-earthquake.html

"The worrying thing is that this quake took place while people were out and about and children were at school."

He urged people in the city centre to evacuate and get to safety.

The quake was felt as far away as Wellington, on the North Island.

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

no tsunami alert. This quake was inland
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Rickster58 wrote:no tsunami alert. This quake was inland

that IS a relief
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Strawberry,

It happened at lunchtime...people were outside

Cars and buses have been crushed. The liquifaction is amazing....ground water has come to the surface everywhere.

I just saw a video of water being sucked down a sinkhole like a plug had been pulled out.

Expect a bad death toll people.
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Rickster58 wrote:Strawberry,

It happened at lunchtime...people were outside

Cars and buses have been crushed. The liquifaction is amazing....ground water has come to the surface everywhere.

I just saw a video of water being sucked down a sinkhole like a plug had been pulled out.

Expect a bad death toll people.

We were looking at moving to ChCh and in my research I found that the majority of the city is built on bog land so that would explain the liquification.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm

wow ....most people wouldn't be aware of that I'm sure. Thank goodness New Zealand has an excellent emergency plan in place. Triage centres have been set up in the city parks and a level 3 emergency declared. Emergency services seem to be on top of it.
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Rickster58 wrote:wow ....most people wouldn't be aware of that I'm sure. Thank goodness New Zealand has an excellent emergency plan in place. Triage centres have been set up in the city parks and a level 3 emergency declared. Emergency services seem to be on top of it.

You were describing water disappearing. Do you think that the earth has opened up in places?
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickster58 Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:02 pm

They have replayed this clip a few times and it certainly leaves you wondering where the water is going.

TV just reported the situation in Christchurch as catastrophic destruction.

Quake was situated 10km SE of Christchurch. Occurred at a depth of 5km.

Chirstchurch is a city of 340,000 people. It struck at 12.51pm,... lunchtime when many people are out and about...

Mayor of Christchurch just warned people to brace for very bad news
Rickster58
Rickster58

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Christchurch is in an area of NZ called Canterbury and the area you are describing Rickster is very flat isnt it?

I remember from looking at maps that there is a whole stretch called Canterbury Plains and there are rivers around.

If Christchurch is built on that marsh then perhaps its in a bit of a valley!!
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next