Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb

+10
FoolOnTheHill
Claudia
cab123
Lurker
all4free
Babsi
Ubetcha
Strawberry
BelgianBoy
Janey
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb Empty Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb

Post by Janey Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 am

morning all, the thread is now open and I will start working the wires

Last edited by Janey on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb Empty Re: Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:18 am

More protesters flocking in the Square, in marches from different sides of the city after hearing army was evicting everyone
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb Empty Re: Egypt Faces The Future - Sunday 13th Feb

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:24 am

Via @NicRobertsonCNN Lots of police around Mubarak's palace in Sharm el-Sheikh-- not relaxed at all. Asking lots of questions
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:33 am

There is a tense stand-off in Cairo's Tahrir Square as protesters who have camped there for 20 days thwart army efforts to clear the area.

Thousands more people have made their way to the square, the focal point of the uprising that led to President Hosni Mubarak's departure on Friday.

The army seems undecided on how to respond to the fresh influx, reports the BBC's Jon Leyne from the scene.

The military police chief has called for tents to be cleared from the area.

"We do not want any protesters to sit in the square after today," said Mohamed Ibrahim Moustafa Ali, the head of military police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12442270
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:34 am

Egypt’s public prosecutor has banned former Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif, former Interior Minister Habib El-Adli and Information Minister Anas El Fekky from leaving the country in the aftermath of former President Hosni Mubarak’s resignation.

The public prosecutor has also ordered that that the assets of El-Adli and his family be frozen, Adel Saeed, head of the technical office at the public prosecutor’s office, said by telephone.
The prosecutor has also made a request with the foreign minister to ask European authorities to freeze the assets of Ahmed Ezz, a former party official at the ruling National Democratic Party, former Tourism Minister Zoheir Garranah, former Trade and Industry Minister Rachid Mohamed Rachid, former Housing Minister Ahmed El-Maghraby and el-Adli.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-12/egypt-bans-former-prime-minister-from-leaving-country-update1-.html
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:55 am

Good morning JediJaney and BB

Smile
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 am

tweet:
State TV this morning is so pro-revolution that it's hilarious. They're almost trying too hard! Little late to the party, guys
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 am

Is anyone else having problems with the site?
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 am

Strawberry wrote:Is anyone else having problems with the site?

I did yesterday but today it is moving faster.
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Daios Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 am

The police chanted: "It's a new Egypt, the people and the police are one," echoing a popular chant by the anti-Mubarak groups in support of the army during the height of the demonstrations.

The crowd chanted back: "Get out, get out!"

For a few minutes there was a tense stand-off as the two sides confronted each other, before the police march peeled away and left the square.

Janey.... egypt is too stupid. They Refuse to get out of the square, actually pissing off the new government on its second day AND Piss off the Police....

yeah that will help, egypt witout police!..................

Daios

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:20 am

Daios wrote:The police chanted: "It's a new Egypt, the people and the police are one," echoing a popular chant by the anti-Mubarak groups in support of the army during the height of the demonstrations.

The crowd chanted back: "Get out, get out!"

For a few minutes there was a tense stand-off as the two sides confronted each other, before the police march peeled away and left the square.

Janey.... egypt is too stupid. They Refuse to get out of the square, actually pissing off the new government on its second day AND Piss off the Police....

yeah that will help, egypt witout police!..................

I think that was yesterday? Because just now I saw some police being put on the shoulders of protesters and celebrating along with them...The Military yesterday had put out a statement to ensure the people that the Police will be at the service of the people, not like before and to please welcome them. So that's what I just saw. But you have to understand, for 30 years, seeing these guys in uniform just scared the crap out of you. They were brutal, corrupt and it will take even ME, who's only dealt with them for 8 years and I never got physically abused, some time to have trust. You can not change from one day to the other.

Some people are scared to leave the Square until they get the timeline from the Military. Also a valid concern.
You have to understand, they fought for this Square with their blood - if they leave, the Army/Police will seal it off. It's like their own liberated space, an egyptian today said Egypt is like a new born baby and needs to be protected. That's what they're doing, nothing else, and I think they should. Egypt is vulnerable in these early days, we have no constitution yet, and no civil government. The old Ministers are still there...it can still go back to the same old same old if they don't watch out.

So consider all these points...nobody is pissing anybody off...just trust has to be gained again and people have to SEE the changes and be assured with actions not just with words.

PS: By the way, we've done better without the police, WHO HAVE ABANDONED THEIR POST 2 weeks ago and let thugs and criminals steal their weapons to terrorize the residents and some police even was in civilian clothes taking part in the looting, violence and destruction. So that's why we don't like to see them. I'd rather have a military tank under my house than a police car!

Last edited by Babsi on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:21 am

And good morning Janey and all Smile

Wave
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 am

Local tv is falling all over themselves - EVERY single channel shows pictures of the Revolution. Some show live Tahrir and talk, others show video's with music or the national anthem. All VERY patriotic and happy. Except for one video that shows every now and then with a sad slow version of the national anthem, egyptian flag in the backdrop and then blending in one by one the pictures of the people who died and calling them Martyr's. Sends a chill down my spine...they were mostly very young boys, looking quite upper class and handsome...what a shame. But they are national heroes.

Now Nile TV showing with a sad song from Mohamed Monir the bad things that happened with Police being brutal and people defending their neighborhoods. Really I'm still in disbelieve to see this, especially on egyptian tv.

confused

Egypt has changed so much....
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 am

Nile TV just reported that Police Men were protesting in front of the Ministry of Interior, they demanded higher salaries and exemption of prosecution (I'm assuming for the crimes they were told to commit, any abuse or corruption and for abandoning their posts as they did so per instruction). Warning shots had to be fired by Security Guards (why, she didn't say, but I guess they got a bit too close and rowdy).
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 am

Thks or all your info, Babsi!
cheers
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by all4free Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:13 am

...thanks subsequently HM, double positiv effect of your departure...
Mubarak's departure thwarted Israeli strike on Iran
Israel will find it difficult to take action far to the east when it can not rely on the tacit agreement to its actions on its western border.
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/mubarak-s-departure-thwarted-israeli-strike-on-iran-1.343012

all4free

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 am

(Reuters) - U.S. officials are concerned that Islamic extremists may try to exploit Egypt's upheaval but are not yet convinced that the Muslim Brotherhood, the country's most influential Islamist opposition group, is necessarily a threat.

The toppling of President Hosni Mubarak on Friday marked the beginning of a new, uncertain era in Egypt that promises to empower Islamist movements like the Muslim Brotherhood, long viewed with deep suspicion in the West.

Al Qaeda is widely seen as weak in Egypt thanks partly to Mubarak, and his departure is raising fears in the U.S. Congress that the rise of even moderate Islamists may give radical elements more room to operate.

Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:53 am

Janey wrote:(Reuters) - U.S. officials are concerned that Islamic extremists may try to exploit Egypt's upheaval but are not yet convinced that the Muslim Brotherhood, the country's most influential Islamist opposition group, is necessarily a threat.

The toppling of President Hosni Mubarak on Friday marked the beginning of a new, uncertain era in Egypt that promises to empower Islamist movements like the Muslim Brotherhood, long viewed with deep suspicion in the West.

Al Qaeda is widely seen as weak in Egypt thanks partly to Mubarak, and his departure is raising fears in the U.S. Congress that the rise of even moderate Islamists may give radical elements more room to operate.

Hi Janey:)

I just want to say something about this subject - and please it is no attack on you, I know you are just reporting the news and what's being said. Just want to get some things off my chest.

I just got off the phone with a egyptian man, he has his own business, over 50 years old, and he's VERY wise and knowledgeable, I know him since 7 years.

We talked over an hour about all things regarding the Revolution, what happened during the time, the evil schemes the Regime played out and I got a ton new info I didn't know before (he's also e-mailing me some documents re the accusations of Habib El Adly, his orders to cause chaos and also his involvement in the Alexandrian Church Bombing).

Regarding this whole fear of MB or Islamic Extremists taking over or becoming a threat, is total BS!! The media is stirring the pot and playing the cards of governments. This is old stuff and makes all of us yawn. We saw what Mubarak kept saying, we saw how he tried to blame Islamists for the Church Bombing, when actually there are NONE in this country, if there were, they were imprisoned. The looting and destruction of property, all of those things were the Regime. The Regime were the islamists, Adly had a whole army consistent of 23 police officers, criminals, drug dealers and islamists with ties to terrorist groups that could at any time when he ordered cause unrest, attacks and so on as we saw with the Church bombing in Alexandria.

My friend made 2 very good points. He said this Revolution showed how small the MB representation in Egypt is, and how weak they are. If you look at how many people were praying in Tahrir and how many were not? What percentage of MB was in the crowd praying? They ALL have long beards, we didn't see too many of those, they would have ALL prayed if there were so many there, but not all muslims pray all 5 prayers a day...we saw many people that did not pray. And Christians were there as well. Also the so called "negotiations" that took place with Sillyman and MB, there were 4 guys, who are clearly not "politicians" who just shouted at Sillyman that the Regime is not listening to the people and gave the demands again. Sillyman basically told them to go and you know what because Mubarak will never step down. Big Fail! They are not politicians and they will not be able to produce a credible presidential candidate.

The second point he made, IF there were ANY islamic extremists in this country, they would have jumped on the opportunity dayyyyyysss ago, when Egypt was more vulnerable than ever, during the hours and few days without ANY security forces, and btw, STILL my checkpoint is not manned. Were there any violence? Any bombings? Any group coming forward to preach to people? Where are the extremists? All I and everybody else has seen are egyptians, who want freedom and democracy. Actually, the Friday a week ago, when they called for that big demo, a couple of Imam's were thrown out of Tahrir Square by the people because they started to preach religious slogans with microphones. They said they will not tolerate any religious tone in their revolution. The same people that started this Revolution and that were in Tahrir are not interested in becoming enslaved by a restricting extremist Regime. Otherwise they could have just saved themselves the whole trouble and kept everything as it is.

So, I'm personally getting SO impatient with this tiring and boring subject of repeating over and over again Mubarak's and Netanyahooos slogans that Egypt will become like Iran.

Egyptians are not stupid - they will elect a very good moderate President, who will do everything in his power to make this country better and stay stable. Don't forget, Egypt has 11 Mio Tourists every year - and they NEED this income. You think becoming extremist which would restrict the moving around of Tourists in their normal clothes or drink alcohol, or have a war with Israel would serve the country? They're not dumb.

Just look at the protesters STILL there in Tahrir protecting their "newborn baby" from exactly this to happen, that somebody might come in and hijack their Revolution. The people have already proven the whole world wrong and I think they will do it again.

YALLA YA MISR!!!!! farao

BREAKING NEWS JUST IN: The Military has announced Parliament is dissolved, Constitution suspended YAAAAAYYYY - new presidential elections will be held in September! So, we are now concentrating on cleaning up all this mess and starting election campaigns.

Last edited by Babsi on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:56 am

# Egypt Military Statement: Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik will continue to be care-taker of the government vor 3 Minuten via web

# Egypt Military Statement: The army govern the country for six months or until Presidential & Legislative elections are held vor 4 Minuten via web

# Egypt Military Statement: The formatio of a committee to amend some articles of the constitution after a popular referendum vor 6 Minuten via web

# Breaking: Egypt Military Statement now: Both houses of parliament have been dissolved

-----------
read from bottom to top

Hello flower

thanks for the long posts, just starting to read Smile

Last edited by Lurker on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:57 am

Babsi wrote:
Janey wrote:(Reuters) - U.S. officials are concerned that Islamic extremists may try to exploit Egypt's upheaval but are not yet convinced that the Muslim Brotherhood, the country's most influential Islamist opposition group, is necessarily a threat.

I just want to say something about this subject - and please it is no attack on you, I know you are just reporting the news and what's being said. Just want to get some things off my chest.

I just got off the phone with a egyptian man, he has his own business, over 50 years old, and he's VERY wise and knowledgeable, I know him since 7 years.

We talked over an hour about all things regarding the Revolution, what happened during the time, the evil schemes the Regime played out and I got a ton new info I didn't know before (he's also e-mailing me some documents re the accusations of Habib El Adly, his orders to cause chaos and also his involvement in the Alexandrian Church Bombing).

Regarding this whole fear of MB or Islamic Extremists taking over or becoming a threat, is total BS!! The media is stirring the pot and playing the cards of governments. This is old stuff and makes all of us yawn. We saw what Mubarak kept saying, we saw how he tried to blame Islamists for the Church Bombing, when actually there are NONE in this country, if there were, they were imprisoned. The looting and destruction of property, all of those things were the Regime. The Regime were the islamists, Adly had a whole army consistent of 23 police officers, criminals, drug dealers and islamists with ties to terrorist groups that could at any time when he ordered cause unrest, attacks and so on as we saw with the Church bombing in Alexandria.

My friend made 2 very good points. He said this Revolution showed how small the MB representation in Egypt is, and how weak they are. If you look at how many people were praying in Tahrir and how many were not? What percentage of MB was in the crowd praying? They ALL have long beards, we didn't see too many of those, they would have ALL prayed if there were so many there, but not all muslims pray all 5 prayers a day...we saw many people that did not pray. And Christians were there as well. Also the so called "negotiations" that took place with Sillyman and MB, there were 4 guys, who are clearly not "politicians" who just shouted at Sillyman that the Regime is not listening to the people and gave the demands again. Sillyman basically told them to go and you know what because Mubarak will never step down. Big Fail! They are not politicians and they will not be able to produce a credible presidential candidate.

The second point he made, IF there were ANY islamic extremists in this country, they would have jumped on the opportunity dayyyyyysss ago, when Egypt was more vulnerable than ever, during the hours and few days without ANY security forces, and btw, STILL my checkpoint is not manned. Were there any violence? Any bombings? Any group coming forward to preach to people? Where are the extremists? All I and everybody else has seen are egyptians, who want freedom and democracy. Actually, the Friday a week ago, when they called for that big demo, a couple of Imam's were thrown out of Tahrir Square by the people because they started to preach religious slogans with microphones. They said they will not tolerate any religious tone in their revolution. The same people that started this Revolution and that were in Tahrir are not interested in becoming enslaved by a restricting extremist Regime. Otherwise they could have just saved themselves the whole trouble and kept everything as it is.

So, I'm personally getting SO impatient with this tiring and boring subject of repeating over and over again Mubarak's and Netanyahooos slogans that Egypt will become like Iran.

Egyptians are not stupid - they will elect a very good moderate President, who will do everything in his power to make this country better and stay stable. Don't forget, Egypt has 11 Mio Tourists every year - and they NEED this income. You think becoming extremist which would restrict the moving around of Tourists in their normal clothes or drink alcohol, or have a war with Israel would serve the country? They're not dumb.

Just look at the protesters STILL there in Tahrir protecting their "newborn baby" from exactly this to happen, that somebody might come in and hijack their Revolution. The people have already proven the whole world wrong and I think they will do it again.

YALLA YA MISR!!!!! farao

BREAKING NEWS JUST IN: The Military has announced Parliament is dissolved - new presidential elections will be held in September! So, we are now concentrating on cleaning up all this mess and starting election campaigns.

Babsi,

Personally I totally agree with you that the whole thing is fearmongering. I don't buy it at all. As you say though, I have a duty to report the news from all sides. I just don't always have to personally believe in it Smile So, yes in total agreement with you on a personal level
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 am

the wikileaks cables from last week about the demonization of MB:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/06/omar-suleiman-muslim-brotherhood_n_819341.html
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 am

I don't like that kind of foreign interference

------------------
WikiLeaks: Suleiman promised to stop Gaza elections

Egyptian VP said he will "take care of" Gaza, stop Hamas from gaining control, in meeting with Israeli official.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=207821&R=R3

Last edited by Lurker on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 am

Janey wrote:
Babsi wrote:

YALLA YA MISR!!!!! farao

BREAKING NEWS JUST IN: The Military has announced Parliament is dissolved - new presidential elections will be held in September! So, we are now concentrating on cleaning up all this mess and starting election campaigns.

Babsi,

Personally I totally agree with you that the whole thing is fearmongering. I don't buy it at all. As you say though, I have a duty to report the news from all sides. I just don't always have to personally believe in it Smile So, yes in total agreement with you on a personal level

Yes Janey, I know that you have a good understanding about these things. As I said, my post was not an attack to you or anybody, I was just stating my points and gave the info what the sentiments are of the people here. I've spoken with so many people now here, from different classes, muslims and a couple christians, and they all say the same thing. Those are the people that will vote, when previously they have not because they knew their votes would not be counted. And none of them want an islamic state ruled by islamic laws. This would totally restrict their few freedoms they had before...meaning no dress code for women, veil or no veil, up to you, tourists can walk around as they please (probably not in a bikini in the old market, but they wore shorts and spaghetti strap tops and nobody flinched), alcohol being served everywhere to anybody who wants to drink. Liquor stores and even foreign distilleries who opened up...and so on and on. Cairo lives off of Tourism and those freedoms, so do of course all the Red Sea Resorts. It just doesn't make sense to accuse Egypt to go backwards like that. Cairo is a party town, lol.

So I hope some people that are still skeptical or worried will read this and maybe get a better understanding. I'm really looking forward to the presidential election and the campaigns starting. Too bad I can't vote Sad lol

Last edited by Babsi on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 am

AP: CAIRO — Egypt's military rulers are dissolving the parliament and suspending the constitution, meeting two key demands of pro-democracy protesters.
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:21 am

How come u can't vote, Babsi?
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next