Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egypt Rolling Updates Fri 11 Feb

+34
huntermj
northerntomcat
Stealth521
Babsi
Claudia
Canary
Limpan
LewNi
boobu
Aetius Romulous
Godzilla85
Morgana
goodmockingbird
ZX12R
Mother Mary
FoolOnTheHill
Mimi
Earth Cries
snark
Stargazer
Myhaloisgone
miabelieves
Luna
Strawberry
Janey
Muhajiir
cab123
Tangy
Lurker
MissHidalgo
Ubetcha
Logical Paradox
BelgianBoy
LLL
38 posters

Page 7 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 28  Next

Go down

Egypt Rolling Updates Fri 11 Feb   - Page 7 Empty Re: Egypt Rolling Updates Fri 11 Feb

Post by Janey Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:36 am

up to 8000 now gathering in Aswan
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Egypt Rolling Updates Fri 11 Feb   - Page 7 Empty Re: Egypt Rolling Updates Fri 11 Feb

Post by Ubetcha Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:37 am

People still arriving in Liberation Sq. not an inch of pavement and crowds spilling over per AJ report
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHidalgo Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:37 am

Tensions outside the palace between army and demonstrators Shocked -AJE
MissHidalgo
MissHidalgo

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargazer Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 am

Voice of America is reporting that the army is backing the transfer of power to the VP.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Egypt-Protest-Organizers-Promise-Largest-Protests-Yet-115866209.html

Egypt's military has endorsed the transfer of powers from embattled President Hosni Mubarak to Vice President Omar Suleiman and called for a return to normal life in the Egyptian capital, wracked for 18 days by anti-Mubarak demonstrations.

The military released its statement Friday after a meeting of its Supreme Council, on a day protest organizers predicted the largest demonstrations since the start of the popular uprising last month.

More at the link above
Stargazer
Stargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 am

Reports of snipers on top of the Presidential Palace!
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:39 am

MissHidalgo wrote:Tensions outside the palace between army and demonstrators Shocked -AJE

Heard that Aj said an Army officer told them they should treat Mubarak with "dignity" didn't go over well with protesters as could be expected
"
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 am

Luna wrote:Reports of snipers on top of the Presidential Palace!

OH NO No
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Myhaloisgone Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:41 am

miabelieves wrote:like the name MyHaloisGone...morning

Thanks and good morning Mia...it is my own symbol for hoping to learn enough in this lifetime, for I am no angel..but I sure do rely on mine for guidance and grace Smile
Myhaloisgone
Myhaloisgone

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 am

Ya know just noticed that on this site you don't get the flack about "no linky" or the BS flag. Great job Janey and Mods Group Hug
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 am

Press TV are saying they can't get guests into the building anymore because the protesters have surrounded the building and blocking all entrances.

Presidential guard are surrounding the palace and snipers are positioned on the roof top. They are also on top of buildings near the palace.

A march in Alexandria towards the Presidential Palace there. Protesters are also blocking people entering into buildings there.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by lolita Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 am

Time for the army to do their job and spill their own blood for the good of the people.

That's what an army is supposed to do. Get in harm's way to protect the people. Slaughter all that stand in the way to Mubarak.

lolita

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 am

Ubetcha wrote:
Luna wrote:Reports of snipers on top of the Presidential Palace!

OH NO No

yes confirmed. They are presidential guard and not the regular army
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by lolita Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 am

At what time the prayer is supposed to happen? 3PM Cairo time?

lolita

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 am

It seems the army are concerned that all of this is being orchestrated by the US and Hammas to take over Egypt! Do they really believe that the US and Hammas are working together on this? More like they don't want to lose their fat pay checks and nice fat back handers. I hope lower ranks of the military will refuse any orders to turn on the people but those snipers on top of the Cairo Presidential Palace are a concern because we know they were shooting into the Square last week.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:47 am

Ubetcha wrote:Ya know just noticed that on this site you don't get the flack about "no linky" or the BS flag. Great job Janey and Mods Group Hug

from my side of things it is hard for me to give links. I get much of my info from sources whom I am talking to on MSN conference or the phone for my day job. If that is not the case, my info comes directly from the wires. I have a second machine here that just spews out headlines all day. I rarely look on the net for info so cannot link
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 am

Luna wrote:It seems the army are concerned that all of this is being orchestrated by the US and Hammas to take over Egypt! Do they really believe that the US and Hammas are working together on this? More like they don't want to lose their fat pay checks and nice fat back handers. I hope lower ranks of the military will refuse any orders to turn on the people but those snipers on top of the Cairo Presidential Palace are a concern because we know they were shooting into the Square last week.

remember too Luna that these are the elite presidential guard at the palace. They are very different from the regular army and are best seen as Mubaraks personal bodyguards
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 am

Morning y'all- just found this on the military's statement:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iyblSd9jb31ESnGl9NLZ2fv8reGg?docId=N0674271297378181578A

Snip:

Egypt's military has thrown its weight behind President Hosni Mubarak's decision not to resign but to transfer most of his powers to his vice president.
The statement is likely to further enrage protesters who have marched to Mr Mubarak's Cairo palace and other key symbols of the regime in a new push to force the president out.
The statement - the second in two days - comes after a meeting of the military's Supreme Council, led by the defence minister. The military said it endorses Mr Mubarak's plan for a peaceful transfer of power and free and fair presidential elections later this year.
Meanwhile , protesters enraged by Mr Mubarak's refusal to step down streamed into Cairo's central square and promised to expand their push to drive the Egyptian president out. The stand-off posed a major test for the military as protesters stepped up calls for the army to intervene against Mr Mubarak, a former air force commander.
On Thursday night Mr Mubarak gave most of his powers to his vice president but refused to resign or leave the country, hours after the military made moves that had all the markings of a coup.
Organisers said protesters were already camped outside the presidential palace and buildings housing the Cabinet, parliament and state TV. They planned rallies at six separate protest locations, in addition to Tahrir Square, the centre of the mass rallies that began on January 25.
Several hundred thousand people had packed into Tahrir Square on Thursday, ecstatic with expectation that Mr Mubarak would announce his resignation. Instead, they watched in shocked silence as he spoke. Some broke into tears. Others waved their shoes in the air in contempt.
After the speech, they broke into chants of "Leave, leave, leave". Around 2,000 protesters then marched on the state television headquarters several streets away from Tahrir, guarded by the military with barbed wire and tanks.
Prominent reform advocate Mohamed ElBaradei, whose supporters were among the organisers of the 18-day-old wave of protests, warned in a Twitter message that "Egypt will explode".
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 am

Ghonim Wael Ghonim

I will clarify everything in Alarabeya now
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 am

Govt. buildings in Suez being taken over & reports of police joining protesters there.
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 am

netonezen‎ RT @luelabie: RT @Mo7ebk: Army at the palace spoke now that he is Egyptian and won't harm us but pls don't pass the closed line
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 am

Janey, what do you think about this?

stember‎ RT @r4today: “I think there is a split in the [Egyptian] army” says Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 am

Dang I would be claustrobic in that square and people still streaming into the square
Ubetcha
Ubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 am

Mahalla, Tanta, Mansourah, bani Sueif, Cairo, Alexandria, Suez - all have major demonstrations demanding ouster of Mubarak/Suleiman
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 am

NDP website seems hacked. Now reads: "Closed until dropping Mubarak & the regime" http://bit.ly/eT68er
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by snark Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 am

Read on another site that prayers in Tahrir were the prayers of martyrdom

Sad

can't link for obvious reasons
snark
snark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17 ... 28  Next