Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Libya In Crisis - Tuesday 22 Feb

+23
lolita
Aetius Romulous
Robert
FFR77
He who Seeks Truth
Alaskan Girl
Godzilla85
trudat
Limpan
LewNi
goodmockingbird
Paddy
Luna
Joe Bese
Babsi
Lime Flavoured
BelgianBoy
Strawberry
ZX12R
cab123
Muhajiir
Earth Cries
Janey
27 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Libya In Crisis - Tuesday 22 Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Libya In Crisis - Tuesday 22 Feb

Post by Joe Bese Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 am

ZX12R wrote:
Janey wrote:UNSC emergency session later today also

Unfortunately, the Security Council is usually very reluctant to do much of anything on their own
without someone like the U.S. saying they will lead a coalition of countries willing to do something
about Gaddafi. Someone will need to lead the charge, then the U.N. would probably give their backing.

I have no expectations that Obama would be interested in undertaking that kind of risky endeavor.

Why the US? We pretty much cut off Libya years ago. Why can't Europeans pull up their pants and deal with this?
Joe Bese
Joe Bese

Back to top Go down

Libya In Crisis - Tuesday 22 Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Libya In Crisis - Tuesday 22 Feb

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 am

Joe Bese wrote:
ZX12R wrote:

Unfortunately, the Security Council is usually very reluctant to do much of anything on their own
without someone like the U.S. saying they will lead a coalition of countries willing to do something
about Gaddafi. Someone will need to lead the charge, then the U.N. would probably give their backing.

I have no expectations that Obama would be interested in undertaking that kind of risky endeavor.

Why the US? We pretty much cut off Libya years ago. Why can't Europeans pull up their pants and deal with this?

Considering the fact that re: oil this is mostly a conflict for the european countries, I agree in this case USA needs to keep low profile. Obama can not get involved and risk anything at this point, other than voicing his support for the Libyan people and ask for a stop of violence.
If there is a UN intervention, it should be lead by a european country.
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

Joe Bese wrote:
ZX12R wrote:

I said someone like the U.S.

Someone willing to step up. Usually, it's the U.S. or nobody. I wasn't advocating that they do it.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

to confirm your posts from above. The latest I have is that about 60% of the army is with the people. It is hard to get accurate numbers as validated info is hard to come by. It is correct that the airforce are attacking the pro-people branches of the army who are in turn firing back.

It does look like we have now crossed into full civil war
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 am

Jazeera just reported: Statement some Libyan Military personals asks all members of the Libyan Army 2 go 2 Tripoli & remove #Gaddafi
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 am

Had a horrible thought...what if the lunatic starts to bomb the neighboring countries?? I wouldn't put anything past him. He may want to take down the whole Mid East along with Libya.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 am

Suspend Libya from U.N. Human Rights Council, AJC demands

February 22, 2011

JERUSALEM (JTA) – The American Jewish Committee called on the United Nations General Assembly to suspend Libya’s membership in the U.N. Human Rights Council.

“The Gadhafi regime’s widespread use of brutal force against protestors makes a mockery of the U.N. Human Rights Council,” said AJC Executive Director David Harris said in a statement released Monday....

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/02/22/2743057/gadhafi-was-ready-to-work-with-diaspora-libyan-jews-expat-says
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am

#Libya: "We have reached the point of no return. We know if we don´t die in the streets they´ll kill us in our houses" #Feb17
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am

BelgianBoy wrote:Jazeera just reported: Statement some Libyan Military personals asks all members of the Libyan Army 2 go 2 Tripoli & remove #Gaddafi

That was yersterday night live on AJA....it seems its full scale war now between pro and anti gaddafi forces...
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 am

John Kerry demands all oil comapnys to halt their work...and he urges arab and african nations to take harsh steps against libyan regime/AJA
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 am

Earth Cries wrote:Had a horrible thought...what if the lunatic starts to bomb the neighboring countries?? I wouldn't put anything past him. He may want to take down the whole Mid East along with Libya.

He doesn't have the ability to do that. His armed forces are small and poorly equipped. Egypt alone could destroy Libya's entire armed forces in a few days, and without any backing from other countries. Just my opinion.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 am

latest: press are being briefed that Gadaffi intends to hand over some of his powers - no idea on which powers and to whom!
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by BelgianBoy Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:46 am

Janey wrote:latest: press are being briefed that Gadaffi intends to hand over some of his powers - no idea on which powers and to whom!

My god, so pathetic. Do they all read the same manual?
BelgianBoy
BelgianBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:47 am

Janey wrote:latest: press are being briefed that Gadaffi intends to hand over some of his powers - no idea on which powers and to whom!

No doubt just going to hand more power to his sons! Who else could he possibly hand over power to? I can't even begin to wonder who else he'd trust because he's such a lunatic and it's impossible to begin reading what goes on in his head.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:47 am

Earth Cries wrote:Had a horrible thought...what if the lunatic starts to bomb the neighboring countries?? I wouldn't put anything past him. He may want to take down the whole Mid East along with Libya.

That's my biggest concern right now...he already is ticked at Egypt and Tunisia for having inspired the uprising in his country. Bracing myself here..
Babsi
Babsi

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 am

BelgianBoy wrote:

My god, so pathetic. Do they all read the same manual?

LOL! "Dictator Survival for Dummies"

This is pure desperation, and is a joke of monumental proportions.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

Luna wrote:

No doubt just going to hand more power to his sons! Who else could he possibly hand over power to? I can't even begin to wonder who else he'd trust because he's such a lunatic and it's impossible to begin reading what goes on in his head.

the latest leak is that he will offer power to local "assemblies" of citizens, forming regional councils.

I think he is doing a Mubarak, too little too late
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

oh and Luna, check your PMs pls Smile
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 am

Hi all.

Any word about the two ships that left Turkey yesterday to pick up Turkish people in Libya.?
The ships should be at Libya port soon.
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 am

Babsi wrote:

That's my biggest concern right now...he already is ticked at Egypt and Tunisia for having inspired the uprising in his country. Bracing myself here..

Even if his military is poorly equipped, all it would take is one plane flying under the radar and dropping a payload on a city in one of the neighboring countries. Instant flashpoint.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 am

Mad dog speaks now!!
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am

Muhajiir wrote:Mad dog speaks now!!

Please summarize what the dog says.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 am

He says Libya is the center of the world and europe and latin america and africia and asia is under the command of libya!!
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 am

#Libya Army is heading it's way West from #Benghazi ,the Army is expanding the "No-Gaddafi Land".Finally Libyans get their Freedom. #Feb17
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 am

He says I can't resign, because I am not a leader, I'm a commander of a revolution...and that is a life long mission..this is my country and my grandfatrhers country
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next