Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Libya Turmoil - Wednesday 23rd

+23
snark
Alaskan Girl
nicdeedoop
aka
northerntomcat
LewNi
Joe Bese
Limpan
Strawberry
Paddy
cbfunk
Claudia
Godzilla85
Lime Flavoured
Earth Cries
goodmockingbird
ZX12R
Muhajiir
Dead Revolutionary
cab123
Lurker
BelgianBoy
Janey
27 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Libya Turmoil - Wednesday 23rd - Page 2 Empty Re: Libya Turmoil - Wednesday 23rd

Post by Janey Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 am

ZX12R wrote:I saw that the Italian news is reporting a figure of as many as 1,000 killed in Libya. Anyone seeing other estimates this morning?

I also heard an ABC news report this morning, on the radio, that there are worries that Gaddafi has ordered his cronies to blow up oil rigs and pipelines, if things look like his reign is over. They also said that there are worries that he may even use chemical and/or biological weapons on the demonstrators. This could be really bad, if the mad dog's orders are carried out at some point.

yes those figures are on the wires and are being regarded as conservative and on the low side
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Libya Turmoil - Wednesday 23rd - Page 2 Empty Re: Libya Turmoil - Wednesday 23rd

Post by goodmockingbird Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 am

Recent info on status of various nations' evacuations:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/23/2675858/2-ships-carry-3000-turks-back.html
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:48 am

Janey wrote:
ZX12R wrote:I saw that the Italian news is reporting a figure of as many as 1,000 killed in Libya. Anyone seeing other estimates this morning?

I also heard an ABC news report this morning, on the radio, that there are worries that Gaddafi has ordered his cronies to blow up oil rigs and pipelines, if things look like his reign is over. They also said that there are worries that he may even use chemical and/or biological weapons on the demonstrators. This could be really bad, if the mad dog's orders are carried out at some point.

yes those figures are on the wires and are being regarded as conservative and on the low side

From the reports of aircraft dropping bombs, and helicopters machine gunning people in the streets, I wouldn't be surprised if that figure is WAY on the low side.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_re_us/us_us_libya

With the potential for Gadhafi to foment anti-American or anti-western sentiment and Libya teetering on the brink of what some fear will explode into a full-blown civil war, administration officials repeatedly invoked their primary concern of ensuring the safety of U.S. citizens there.

"As always, the safety and well-being of Americans has to be our highest priority. We are in touch with many Libyan officials directly and indirectly and with other governments in the region to try to influence what is going on inside Libya," Clinton told reporters at the State Department.

Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said U.S. officials had been assured by Libyan authorities that embassy workers and families will be able to leave safely. He said the United States expected those pledges to be honored.

Who are they talking to???
cab123
cab123

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Revolutionary Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 am

Janey wrote:
Muhajiir wrote:In my view the revolution is on a dead end for now...

Benghazi and alot of eastern cities is free and Gaddafi will never take them again, because they are united and have guns and military with them...

Tripoli is under Gaddafi and its people have no chance on revolting because of no weapons.

So either Gaddafi comes with a plan to retake Bengazi and east or Bengazi and east comes up with a plan to take tripoli...

much of the speculation at the moment centres around whether Libya will split into multiple states for the very reasons you describe above

From what I can tell, all the oil refineries are under rebel control. If that is true, I don't see how on earth Gadaffi could remain in control. The world would have to be complicit in refining oil for him and sending it in through Tripoli.
Dead Revolutionary
Dead Revolutionary

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Revolutionary Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:51 am

ZX12R wrote:
Janey wrote:

From the reports of aircraft dropping bombs, and helicopters machine gunning people in the streets, I wouldn't be surprised if that figure is WAY on the low side.

Yea I am curious to know exactly what the hell has been going on there and how many people have been murdered.
Dead Revolutionary
Dead Revolutionary

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 am

#Libya: U.S. citizens wishing to depart via ferry should bring valid travel documents and any necessary medications to As-shahab Port.
less than a minute ago via web .

#Libya: U.S. government chartered ferry will depart for Valletta, Malta no later than 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
3 minutes ago via web .

#Libya: U.S. citizens wishing to depart should proceed to As-shahab Port as soon as possible after 9:00 am & arrive no later than 10:00 am
5 minutes ago via web .

#Libya: U.S. citizens wishing to leave Libya can transport via ferry. Ferry will depart Tripoli from the As-shahab Port in central Tripoli.
7 minutes ago via web

Note -- We weren't able to find the As-shahab Port on any maps a few hours ago here -- it is "across the street from the Radisson Hotel" according to Anderson Cooper.
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

SupportForLibya: URGENT n confirmed Egyption Army blocked all roads around Libyan Embassy in Cairo to Demo. PLEASE SPREAD. #Libya #Feb17 #Cairo #Gaddafi
less than 20 seconds ago via web
goodmockingbird
goodmockingbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

Libya isnt divided, its united

check shabablibya tweets, eg his uncle in benghazi.. Saying all are family, all tribes are united there
people in benghazi protesting in support of tripoli

people in fashloom etc, chanting oh benghazi we will give our blood for you

check other tweeps.. Over 75% of libya is free and united...
Even dima khatib said there will be no civil war, no split.

List goes on...

Tripoli, sabha and sirt being occupied by ghaddafi, the rest is free
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by ZX12R Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:02 am

Dead Revolutionary wrote:
Janey wrote:
Muhajiir wrote:In my view the revolution is on a dead end for now...

Benghazi and alot of eastern cities is free and Gaddafi will never take them again, because they are united and have guns and military with them...

Tripoli is under Gaddafi and its people have no chance on revolting because of no weapons.

So either Gaddafi comes with a plan to retake Bengazi and east or Bengazi and east comes up with a plan to take tripoli...

much of the speculation at the moment centres around whether Libya will split into multiple states for the very reasons you describe above

From what I can tell, all the oil refineries are under rebel control. If that is true, I don't see how on earth Gadaffi could remain in control. The world would have to be complicit in refining oil for him and sending it in through Tripoli.

One good thing in this, is that Gaddafi doesn't really have any allies that would be willing to stick their neck out for him. Everyone knows that he is a raving lunatic. He will not get anyone to help him. And I think you are right that he cannot remain in control. It's just a matter of how much death and destruction he can cause, before he heads for the exit, or is killed.
ZX12R
ZX12R

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:02 am

Slightly OT:
1000's are protesting in Greece. From what I saw on CNN looks like tear gas, etc being used.
Protesting austerity measures taken by gov't.
Anything on the wires, Janey?
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:17 am

Ghaddafi bringing as much supporters, mercenaries to tripoli... He brought supporters from sirt in the first days.. Lot of Mercs from sabha in the last days..Seems tripoli will be soon the last city left where he is in control..

Latest news: rape victims admitted to al zawia street hospital

shabablibya

the final battle for tripoli, which also marks the showdown for libyas revolution is inevitable... Hmm when will the first groups of wurfala arrive?

Last edited by Lurker on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:18 am

Derna: Women and girls take to the streets in a huge mass demo, #Libya #Feb17

The people of Tripoli are putting on a heroic effort this city is littered with mercenaries roaming streets with snipers #Libya #Feb17

We should launch an international campaign so that the Interpol issue a warrant to arrest #Gaddafi. He is a criminal!

The mercenaries of #Gaddafi have been defeated in the oil-rich city of #Ajdabiya and it is now in the hands of protesters. #Libya #Feb17

Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 am

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague to make "urgent" statement on Libya at 14.30 GMT, one hour from now
Janey
Janey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 am

I say just tell the rebels to leave and the have the USAF bomb Tripoli. It wont happen, but maybe it should.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 am

Lime Flavoured wrote:I say just tell the rebels to leave and the have the USAF bomb Tripoli. It wont happen, but maybe it should.

that's what I'm talking about lime Bang your head
Godzilla85
Godzilla85

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 am

LOL AJA have got a psychologist to analyse gaddafis insane speech hahaha
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 am

Muhajiir wrote:LOL AJA have got a psychologist to analyse gaddafis insane speech hahaha

LOL no need Muha we all know he's fricking nuts
Godzilla85
Godzilla85

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 am

Muhajiir wrote:LOL AJA have got a psychologist to analyse gaddafis insane speech hahaha

Well, it's certainly an interesting speech from a psychological point of view lol

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:53 am

Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:04 am

Claudia
Claudia

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 am

I've posted information on the riots in Greece and now India in Janey's Breaking News section.
Turmoil spreading all over the world.
Earth Cries
Earth Cries

Back to top Go down

Post by cbfunk Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 am

The latest from the ORF (Austrian TV) website

A private jet with Gadaffi family members (lebanese daughter in law...) was denied permission to land in Beirut.

unconfirmed: Gadaffi barricaded himself with 4 brigades of his security forces in Army quarters Bab al-Asisija in Tripolis.

Oppositionwebsite Libya al-Youm reports that Gadaffi tried to buy support from the Awlad Ali tribe in Egypt with lybian roots through a relative of his Ahmed Gaddaf al-Dam.
He was denied support.
cbfunk
cbfunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 am

Breaking: A libyan fighter jet have exploded after crew jump with parashute in east libya.

The crew jumped after refusing orders to bomb civilians benghazi
Muhajiir
Muhajiir

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 am

Tweet:

BREAKING -- STOCKHOLM (AP) — Swedish paper: Libyan justice minister says has proof Gadhafi ordered Lockerbie bombing

http://twitter.com/#!/mpoppel/status/40416632568287232

If they could prove that then the UK (and indeed the US) would probably be justified in using force, even though the event happened in 1988.

Lime Flavoured

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next